Russian Piroshki, a recipe made from sour cream dough and filled with minced meat. A delicious snack from Russia where it's street food.
It is finger food, a snack which is filled with meat, mushrooms, rice, eggs, cheese or jam. Actually quite a variety on ingredients and is sold as a snack on the streets of Russia.
Honestly? I had never heard of it and that's exactly what is so nice about the Daring Kitchen, cooking food in a traditional way or getting acquainted with traditional dishes that are still unknown to me. I rolled up my sleeves and went to work.
For the dough, I chose the fast sour cream dough and beef as a filling. The result is a slightly sweet roll with a savory filling. Very nice, I can imagine why the Russians are so fond of it.
This recipe was brought to me via the Daring Kitchen and has been created by Sara of the blog Sassy Suppers. She studied Russian and of the Russian dishes she made at that time, Piroshki was her favorite.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Sour cream dough
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter cold cubed, unsalted
- 1 egg yolk size L
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
Meat Filling (Myasnaya Nachinka)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions small, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs hard-boiled , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dill fresh
- 1 teaspoon parsley fresh
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Sour cream dough
- Mix in the bowl of a food processor the flour, salt, and baking powder.1½ cups flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the butter and pulse several times until you've got coarse crumbs. (If you don't have a food processor then put all the ingredients in a large bowl and cut with two knives the butter in small pieces until you have a coarse grain.1 stick butter
- Add the egg and sour cream and pulse 3 times.1 egg yolk, 5 tablespoons sour cream
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a bit.
- Form a disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.1 tablespoon oil
- Add the onions and stir-fry for 3 minutes, until translucent.2 onions
- Add the beef and fry it lose. Put the onion, beef, eggs, beef broth, flour, sour cream, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well.1 pound ground beef, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons beef broth, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon dill, 1 teaspoon parsley, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Allow cooling to room temperature and store in the refrigerator until use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour your work surface and roll it out until the dough is about ⅓ cm thick.
- Use a round cutter form of 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) and cut out circles from the dough.
- Put the dough in front of you and in the middle add 1 tablespoon of filling.
- Fold the dough in half over the filling and then seal the edges.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all dough is formed and shaped.
- Mix the egg yolk with the milk.1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon milk
- Brush each snack with the egg-milk mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the oven.