The weather is wintry, cold and the wind is chilly. I can then enjoy a delicious sauerkraut casserole.
It's snowing here in Holland. It's cold and very windy. That's the weather when I can enjoy a really great casserole: a sauerkraut casserole. Delicious. Put it in the oven and a great smell is there. It's winter!
Real winter food is sauerkraut. But it's not a vegetable which everybody will enjoy (because of the sour taste). So I went on the internet and found a good recipe on Smulweb (a Dutch recipe database), with a recipe from Ruth Brock. This recipe was the inspiration for my casserole.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1200 gram potatoes
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 500 grams sauerkraut
- 125 gram bacon cut in 1 cm thick stripes
- 50 mL cream
- 500 grams ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika ground
- 3 tablespoons fried onions
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce like ketjap manis
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter in cubes
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius.)
- Butter a casserole pan.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into equal pieces.
- Boil the potatoes in the chicken stock until they are done.
- On a low fire heat the milk, butter and nutmeg, until the butter is melted.
- Mash the potatoes. Mix with the milk butter mixture until it's smooth.
- Fry the bacon crispy on low heat.
- Put the sauerkraut in a colander and give a quick rinse with water.
- Put it in a large pan and add the cream, bacon and fill with water until the level is about 2 cm. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Bake and loosen the ground beef until done.
- Add paprika, onions, orange juice, brown sugar, chili sauce, sweet soy sauce, and ketchup.
- The first layer will be sauerkraut. Spread it on the bottom of the casserole.
- Put the meat as a second layer on the sauerkraut.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top en distribute small butter bits on top.
- Put 30 minutes in the oven until golden brown. Serve immediately.