This healthier Waldorf salad is tasty, mayo-free, and has fewer calories than the original American salad. This salad with crispy celery, sweet and sour apple, chicken, and raisins has a creamy mustard yogurt dressing.
A delicious meal salad for lunch, which is not too heavy due to the light dressing. This salad is undoubtedly not only delicious in the summer, but you can serve it all year round!
Healthier Waldorf Salad Mayo Free
It is not without reason that the Waldorf salad has been a classic since the end of the 19th century. Served for the first time at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York (source: Wikipedia), he has secured a permanent place on many maps.
A traditional Waldorf salad contains celery, apple, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Meanwhile, all kinds of matching ingredients, such as nuts, chicken, salmon, turkey, and raisins, are added. This is my slim Waldorf salad that is super tasty but just a bit better for your weight.
What do you need for Apple Waldorf Salad without Mayo?
To prepare this healthier Waldorf salad, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Chicken breast - A lean cut of meat. By poaching the chicken breast, it cooks without drying out. You can also replace the chicken breast with, for example, salmon or omit it.
- Celery - Finely chopped. As a result, the celery mixes better with the other ingredients, and each piece is coated with dressing.
- Apple - A fresh accent as a counterpart to the celery. A somewhat sour apple, such as a Granny Smith or Jonagold, goes well with this Waldorf salad.
- Pistachios - Use unshelled (or peeled beforehand) nuts for this recipe.
- Raisins - The raisins provide a little sweetness in this salad. You can also replace them with currants.
- Yogurt - Instead of mayonnaise, use yogurt for the dressing. That's a bit slimmer. Use a full-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt, which is a bit creamier.
- Mustard - The mustard gives the dressing a little more spice.
- Italian seasoning - To give more flavor to the dressing.
How to prepare a Yogurt Waldorf salad
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix the yogurt with olive oil, mustard, and Italian herbs in a bowl.
- Poach the chicken and cut it into cubes. Place in a large bowl with the celery.
- Add the raisins and pistachios.
- Add the dressing and mix everything well. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
Serving - This is delicious as a main course salad, a side dish with chicken teriyaki Shish kebab skewers from the grill, honey bourbon spare ribs, or a light lunch together with a creamy soup of peas and crayfish.
Garnish with finely chopped parsley.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Healthier Waldorf Salad Mayo Free
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 stalks celery sliced in small strips
- 1 Granny Smith or Jona gold
- 1 tablespoon pistachios unsalted, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Poach the chicken for 15 minutes in boiling water.1 chicken breast
- Cut into small cubes and let it cool to room temperature.
- Peel the apple and remove the core. Slice the apple into small cubes1 Granny Smith
- Mix the diced chicken breast, celery, apple, pistachios, and raisins in a bowl.2 stalks celery, 1 tablespoon pistachios, 2 tablespoons raisins
- Make a dressing of yogurt, olive oil, mustard, and spices. Pour over the salad and mix again thoroughly.2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Serve immediately
Salads cannot be stored; eat them fresh. 7. Nutritional value - The nutritional value is per serving, assuming the healthier Waldorf salad is eaten by two people.
Leave a Reply