A delicious recipe for a skinny Waldorf salad with tender chicken, fresh vegetables and fruits and crunchy nuts. Covered with a yogurt based dressing.
I had some chicken leftover from a meal and that was just not enough to make a meal for the five of us. And because it is still January I especially pay attention on healthy food, so I thought to make a lovely fresh and lean chicken salad with it.
The chicken I blanched in boiling water, so that he remained very juicy. Furthermore, I add celery and apple slices, pistachios and raisins mixed. Just like in a Waldorf salad, because this is really becoming a derivative. And not for nothing, for a Waldorf salad has just the right flavors brought together. Where you put a great dash of mayonnaise in the Waldorf salad, I used a vinaigrette with a yogurt base this time. Just a little lighter and just as tasty.
When my hubby and I were eating the salad for lunch, my youngest saw his chance. Mmm, was all he said, and at the end of the song, I had only half a salad left. So it became an extra skinny salad ;-), and it was approved anyway.
Skinny Waldorf salad
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 apple sour, eg. granny smith
- 1 tablespoon pistachios unsalted
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Italian herbs
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and poach the chicken for about 15 minutes, until done.
- Cut into small cubes and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cut the celery into small loops.
- Peel the apple and remove the core. Cut the rest into small cubes
- Chop the pistachios finely.
- In a bowl mix the diced chicken breast, celery, apple, pistachios and raisins well.
- Make a dressing of yogurt, olive oil, mustard and spices.
- Pour over the salad and mix again thoroughly.
- Serve immediately