Slow Cooker Spicy Indonesian Chicken (Ajam Pedis), one of the tastiest recipes from this world cuisine, is now very easy to make yourself. This spicy chicken is tender, juicy, and has a lot of flavors.
This spicy crockpot chicken recipe that you prepare in the slow cooker in the morning is a simple recipe. One that you can quickly serve dinner in the evening.
Slow Cooker Spicy Indonesian Chicken
Indonesian cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines. And so is my crockpot. And why not make a great combination with them in this slow cooker chicken recipe. The delicious flavors and scents make the often somewhat extensive recipes always worthwhile. But sometimes it can also be a lot simpler.
For example with this delicious recipe: Ajam Pedis. You can quickly prepare this spicy Indonesian chicken in the morning and put it in the slow cooker. Turn it on and serve this delicious recipe in the evening (along with rice and a delicious salad).
Tasty and a new favorite! This great recipe should go into your box of easy recipes of crockpot recipes.
What goes in Indonesian Spicy Chicken
Here's what you need to make this spicy chicken:
Best Chicken for Ajam Pedis?
Boneless chicken breast. But really, skinless chicken thighs, shredded chicken, or drumsticks will work just fine.
Best spices for Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken?
Spices are really important in the Indonesian kitchen. The recipe starts, as usual with the three base spice ingredients of this kitchen: shallot, garlic, and ginger.
And these are some of the spices we added to the spice mixture:
Chili paste - I use sambal for the spice in this recipe (Indonesian chili paste). But you could also use buffalo sauce, adobo sauce, chipotle pepper, or sriracha to make it spicy. Or use ¼ teaspoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Galangal - This spice is related to the ginger plant and has a pungent citrus taste. If you can't gain it, you can replace it with ginger powder combined with ⅛ teaspoon of ground lemongrass.
Shrimp paste - Trassi, a shrimp paste, is commonly used in Indonesian cuisine. You can replace it with 2 teaspoons of miso or 2 teaspoons of fish sauce (but the taste will be slightly different).
Lime - adds a fresh touch to this recipe. You can also use lemon juice if you like.
Preparation Ajam Pedis in the Slow Cooker
A recipe that you can easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
This is a very easy recipe, starting by preparing the spice mixture (called boemboe (bumbu)) and frying it, together with the chicken, briefly. Then put everything in the slow cooker and enjoy your free time!
- How long do you bake in the crockpot - on low heat turn it on for 6 hours. When cooking it on high heat, this dish is done in 4 hours.
- What goes with Spicy Indonesian Chicken - it's best served with white rice, cucumber salad or green sautéed beans.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Slow Cooker Spicy Indonesian Chicken (Ajam Pedis)
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and cut in thirds
- 2 shallots peeled and quartered
- 1 inch ginger peeled and quartered (or grated)
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili paste see tips
- ½ teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon galangal powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 ¾ pounds chicken breast in cubes of 1 x 1 inch (2 x 2 cm)
- 2 tomatoes diced ½ x ½ inch (1 x 1 cm)
- ½ lime juice or lemon juice
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the garlic cloves, shallots, ginger, brown sugar, chili paste, shrimp paste, tomato puree and galangal powder in the food processor and pulse until finely ground (see tip 1).4 cloves garlic, 2 shallots, 1 inch ginger, 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons chili paste, ½ teaspoon shrimp paste, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, ½ teaspoon galangal powder
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the spice mixture (boemboe) from step 1. Stir fry this for 2 minutes.2 tablespoons butter
- Place the chicken in the frying pan and stir-fry for three minutes. Place the contents of the skillet in the slow cooker.1 ¾ pounds chicken breast
- Place the diced tomatoes in the slow cooker and add the lime juice and chicken stock.2 tomatoes, ½ lime, ⅔ cup chicken broth
- Season with salt and pepper.¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Stir everything well and place the 2 bay leaves on top.2 bay leaves
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and set it on low heat. Let the Ajam Pedis cook for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve. Delicious with rice, some sour cream, and stir-fried vegetables, a fresh green salad, or cucumber salad.
- Add some slices of red bell pepper. Top with fresh cilantro for extra flavor. Or give it some extra spice with red pepper flakes.
- Great to serve with white or brown rice, a green salad, or cucumber salad.
- Refrigerator - You can keep the Ajam Pedis covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. It's delicious to serve the leftover spicy chicken with slider buns to make chicken sandwiches.
- Freezer - Allow the Indian Spicy Chicken to cool quickly and place in an airtight container or freezer bag and put in the freezer. This keeps it good for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator. TIP prepare a double batch and put it in the freezer. It's a great freezer meal to make life even easier.
- Reheat - Heat the chicken over medium heat while continuing to stir until hot.