The recipe for this easy sponge cakes with only 5 ingredients, gives airy, crunchy and slightly sweet cookies. The cookies will melt on your tongue. Delicious to the last bite.
You could snack in her diet and one of the snacks you could eat were these sponge cookies. Now I was not a fan of Sonja nor her diet and I had to laugh at the so-called SAS days (don't do a Sonja day), but her preference for sponge cookies I can understand.
The airy biscuits, a little crunchy melt on your tongue. And when I make these cakes, they're definitely gone the day after. Cookie Monster are living in my house so it seems.
A simple recipe
And another advantage. The sponge cookies are created with just five ingredients. You probably normally all have them in your pantry. No difficult methods and quick and simple to bake.
💭 Top tips
- The recipe asks for stiff egg whites. To get them you must make sure that your bowl is fat-free. Therefor wash it beforehand thoroughly with hot water and detergent. This also applies to the hooks for the mixer.
- To get a smooth batter you first you add just a little egg white and gently mix it through. This way you let the batter get used to the airy egg white. Then you can add the rest of the egg white carefully to the batter and gently mix it with a spatula. That way the batter becomes airy.
- Add cornstarch to the batter so it stabilizes and won't collapse. That way your sponge cookies will stay fluffy.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to looking it up. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. Don't forget to save my recipes on Pinterest so you can find them easily next time. See you soon!
Easy sponge cookies
- 4 eggs size L
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 75 gram flour
- 70 grams cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit / 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking plate with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and egg yolks in another bowl.
- Mix the egg whites with a mixer.
- Stir tablespoon by tablespoon 100 grams of white sugar into the egg whites, while you keep mixing.
- In the bowl of the egg yolks, add the lemon zest and the rest of the sugar.
- Mix with a whisk until the egg yolks airy and light yellow in color.
- Add ⅓ of the egg whites to the egg-yolks and gently combine with a spatula.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch over the egg-yellow bowl and gently mix into the egg mixture (small lumps aren't a problem).
- Finally add the rest of the egg whites to the batter and gently whisk in with a spatula.
- Make 10 piles of batter on the parchment paper. Keep sufficient distance between the cookies because they will rise a bit in the oven (use when necessary two trays).
- Bake the sponge cookies for 20 minutes and then remove them from the oven.
- Let them cool on a wire rack.