This delicious virgin Pimm's mocktail recipe is wonderfully fresh, sparkling and slightly sweet. A ginger summer drink recipe with cucumber and fruit.
For the foodblog swap I cooked this month's a recipe from the Dutch blog lekkerplan with recipes that Laura the blog host hopes you will fall in love with. That sounds like a great challenge. And when I browsed around on her blog I came across the recipe for a Pimm's cocktail. And that became the basis of this recipe. Because with the Food Blog Swap we always give our own twist to a recipe.
What is Pimm's?
Pimm's is a liqueur that is particularly well known in England. It was first preparedaround 1820 and has been an integral part ever since. It is a gin with fruit and spices and has a dark red / brown color. There are six! kinds of Pimm's no1, no2 and no3 and so on, but the first one is the one that the most popular. And that one has got an alcohol percentage of 25%. The recipe is of course a secret. And even more facts: You could drink this as a liqueur, but more common you use it in a cocktail or punch. .
In addition to Pimm's no1, a real Pimm's cocktail often also contains cucumber, orange, lemon, strawberries and ginger.
Then you mix it with Ginger ale or, for a Pimm's royal cup, with Champagne (which I think is very tasty). These are the two most common cocktails, but there are also a lot of known variations.
A ginger summer drink recipe with cucumber
We had a birthday party and I thought it would be nice to serve a signature drink.
A drink especially prepared for this day. But given the age of most attendees (under 18), a mocktail was more appropriate. And so I made this delicious virgin Pimm's mocktail. Without alcohol but with ginger, cucumber and all the delicious fruit that you also find in the Pimm's cocktail.
📖 Variations and substitutes
- This ginger cocktail with cucumber and fresh fruit uses sprite and ginger. But you can also replace this with Ginger Ale.
- For less calories, use diet Sprite. And not only because of the calories, but because it is less sweet, it becomes even a more refreshing drink.
- If you want a real Pimm's cocktail, use 300 ml Pimm's no1 and 700 ml Sprite.
- And for the super de luxe Pimm's cocktail you use 300 ml Pimm's no1 and 700 ml champagne. Cheers!
- You can also replace the lemon with lime. The orange by slices grapefruit and the strawberries by raspberries. A nice fresh variant.
- Add mint or borage for even more flavor.
💭 Top tips
- You can easily peel ginger by scraping the skin with the rounded side of a spoon. Then grate it until it is very fine.
- By removing the seeds from the cucumber you will not get any sludge in your mocktail. That is really so much better.
- Use organic products and clean the skin first by rubbing them with a cloth with vinegar. Then rinse the fruit under water.
- Cut the bottom of the orange, then you can put it down without falling and that peels just a little easier.
⏲️ What to do with left overs?
- Make it early: you can prepare the base up to 1 day before usage. But make sure that you add the remaining Sprite just before serving. Otherwise you loose the sparkling effect
- Storage in the freezer: This recipe is not good for freezing. The structure would change and that isn't very tasty.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
If you like this Virgin Pimm's mocktail recipe than you probably also like:
- Refreshing ginger iced tea
- Infused water with lemon and grapes
- iced coffee, fresh, delicious and creamy
- Strawberry Prosecco cocktail (with alcohol)
Virgin Pimm's mocktail recipe
This recipe is:
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- ½ cucumber cut in half, deseeded and cut into moons
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 5 cups Sprite or another brand
- 6 strawberries hulled and cut into slices
- ice cubes
- You can put the lemon wedges, cucumber, orange, ginger, lemon juice and orange juice in a jug.
- Mix that well with 250 ml 7up.
- Leave to taste for at least 3 hours and cool in the refrigerator.
- Make up to the rest of the 7up and add ice.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.