Asian-style chicken rice soup is super easy to make and contains a lot of spices in addition to the chicken. They give this soup a delicious Asian taste, which is friendly and warm. And the chicken, rice, bean sprouts, and eggs in the soup make it a tasty lunch or light main course. A meal soup that everyone likes.
Asian Style Chicken Rice Soup
Whether hot or cold, a tasty spicy soup for lunch is delicious. Warming in the winter and cooling in the summer. The soup is easy to make. Fry the herbs until they smell delicious, and then add the chicken and stock. This gives everything an excellent taste. Then you add the filling, and you can eat!
This Asian-style chicken rice soup is always a delicious recipe. You can eat it for lunch, so you still get some more vegetables. Such a win-win situation.
What do you need for Asian-Style Rice Soup?
To prepare this Asian-style Chicken Rice soup, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Chicken breast - Use chicken breast or chicken breast fillets for this recipe. You can also use leftover chicken.
- Onion, shallot, garlic - The base for the soup. By frying lightly, they give much more flavor.
- Kecap Manis - Kecap Manis is a sweet Indonesian soy sauce. It is dark and gives a delicious soy taste. If you don’t have Kecap Manis at home, but you do have light soy sauce, low sodium soy sauce, or dark soy sauce? Then add two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of extra brown sugar to the added soy sauce.
- Tamarind paste - This is a fruit with a sour taste. It is used in stews to tenderize the meat (just as vinegar or lemon juice would). Tamarind paste is used for this recipe. You could replace it with a tablespoon of lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Brown sugar - to sweeten the sauce. Brown sugar is also used because it gives a caramelized flavor to the soup.
- Sambal - Use Sambal Oelek or Sambal Badjak to make the Asian rice soup spicy. This recipe is suitable for the whole family with two teaspoons of sambal. Add more sambal if you like it spicy. Sambal can also be replaced by sriracha.
- Egg - Use hard-boiled eggs, which you peel first. I always use this method for cooking hard-boiled eggs.
- Rice - White rice, cooked. It can be cold or warm.
- Bean sprouts - Also called Tjapar. It tastes like Chinese cabbage. Because it is ready quickly, you don't boil it but pour the soup over it.
- Chicken stock - Make homemade chicken stock or make it from a stock cube.
- Turmeric, Ginger Powder, Coriander, Cumin, and Galangal - The spices that give the soup flavor. They are readily available in the (Asian) supermarket.
How to prepare Chicken soup with sprouts and rice
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Fry the chopped onion, shallot, garlic, galangal, turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, brown sugar, soy sauce, sambal, and tamarind until fragrant, for about 3 minutes. Fry the herbs and onion for 3 minutes to release all the flavors. The soup will have a more intense flavor.
- Pour the stock into the pan and add the chicken cubes to the soup. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place two egg halves, bean sprouts, and cooked rice in the soup bowls.
- Fill the bowls with soup and serve immediately.
Delicious to serve with prawn crackers, fried onions, and spring onions.
When preparing this oriental chicken soup by following the recipe, you will get such a delicious lunch with great flavor. But if you want to change something, I share a few ideas with you:
- If you want sugar-free, leave out the brown sugar and replace the sweet soy sauce with salty soy sauce.
- You can also replace sambal with sriracha.
- If you want even more vegetables, add green peas or thin strips of leek. They combine really well with this soup.
- If you don't have tamarind, you can also replace it with 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
- For more fiber, replace the white rice with brown rice.
- If you don't have homemade chicken stock, you can replace it with 1 liter of water and 2 stock cubes.
- Use gluten-free soy sauce for a gluten-free recipe.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Asian-Style Chicken Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 5 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon galangal powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kecap Manis sweet
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek or sambal badjak
Remaining soup ingredients
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ pound chicken breast cut in ½ inch cubes (1 cm)
- ½ pound bean sprouts rinsed with boiling water
- ¼ pound white rice cooked
- 4 eggs hard boiled, peeled and sliced vertically
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Asian-style Chicken Soup
- Heat the pan and pour in the oil.2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Add the onion, garlic, shallots, galangal, turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, sugar, kecap, tamarind, and sambal. Keep stirring and bake for 3 minutes.1 onion, 5 cloves garlic, 2 shallots, 1 teaspoon galangal powder, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, 3 tablespoons Kecap Manis, 2 teaspoons tamarind paste, 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- Add the chicken stock and chicken cubes and bring to a boil.4 cups chicken stock, ½ pound chicken breast
- Simmer for 30 minutes, taste, and add salt to the taste.
- In every soup bowl, add two half eggs, ¼ of the bean sprouts, and ¼ of the cooked rice.½ pound bean sprouts, ¼ pound white rice, 4 eggs
- Pour the soup into the bowls and serve immediately.
If the soup has too much spice, add one tablespoon of sugar. 6. Serve with Delicious to serve with prawn crackers, fried onions, and spring onions. 7. Also delicious with If you want even more vegetables, add green peas or thin strips of leek. They go well with this soup. 8. Storage
- Refrigerator: Make the soup up to and including step 4, but do not season with salt yet. Let cool and store covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. Heat the soup quickly and season with salt. Then proceed to step 5.
- Freezer: Simmer the soup for 30 minutes and pour it into a freezer box. Let cool quickly to room temperature and cover. Freeze and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge on the day (or the night before). Heat over low heat and season with salt. Then proceed to step 5.