This delicious Vegetarian Bok Choy Soup is the perfect addition to any meal. This flavorful and easy-to-make soup is full of fresh bok choy, Kale, Halloumi, and garlic for a healthy and delicious meal that the whole family will love. Best of all, you won't have to spend hours in the kitchen to make it – it only takes 30 minutes! A tasty vegetarian recipe that contains less than 200 calories! Try this simple and savory soup today.
This soup is packed with fresh vegetables: bok choy, spinach, and kale. Delicious, flavored with herbs and cubes of Halloumi. Halloumi is a hard sheep cheese, which you can bake deliciously, making it wonderfully crunchy on the outside while it remains soft on the inside. The soup is skinny and full of vitamins. Enjoy!
A delicious alternative to meat and certainly a very good combination with the green vegetables in this soup.
A healthy and easy-to-make vegetarian bok choy soup full of vitamins. With crispy fried Halloumi as a topping.
- Bok choy - Bok choy is an Asian Chinese cabbage. The green leaves are soft and the white stems are crispy. You use both in this soup. You can also choose two pieces of Shanghai bok choy (they are a bit smaller). Can't get hold of bok choy? Then you can replace it with Chinese cabbage.
- Spinach - A leafy vegetable full of vitamins. I use fresh vegetables in this soup, but you can also use frozen spinach (without additives). Swiss chard is a tasty alternative to spinach.
- Kale - A vitamin bomb. If you can get your hand on it, use the fresh version. Fortunately, this vegetable is also available in frozen form. You can replace kale with chard, broccoli, or diced cubes of kohlrabi.
- Turmeric - An orange-yellow spice derived from the turmeric plant. It has a citrus ginger flavor. Don't have turmeric in your pantry? Then you can also replace it with curry powder, ginger, or cumin.
- Vegetable stock - The basis of the soup. Make it yourself via this vegetable stock recipe or buy the best you can get (but making it yourself is really so much better ;-)).
- Halloumi - Halloumi is a hard sheep's cheese that you can fry in the pan. Then it gets a crispy outside and soft inside. You can replace it with paneer or Feta cheese (which you do not fry, but slice into cubes and add to your soup). If you want a vegan recipe, you can replace Halloumi with fried cubes of tofu.
Step 1 - The preparations for the bok choy soup
- Chop the shallot finely.
- Fry the shallot in the pan for three minutes until translucent (medium heat).
- Add the kale to the pan and stir-fry for three minutes.
- In the meanwhile, wash the bok choy and cut the bottom off. Then slice the stems and leaves into small strips.
Step 2 - Fry the vegetables briefly
- Put the spinach in the pan and fry for a few minutes so that it shrinks. You may have to add it into several portions if it does not immediately fit in the pan. When the vegetables shrink, you can add the next batch.
- Add the turmeric.
- Get your sliced bok choy and add it to the pan.
- Bring the bok choy soup to a boil on high heat and then lower the heat and let it simmer.
Step 3 - Slice the Halloumi and fry the cheese
- Cut the Halloumi in slices and then into cubes.
- Fry the cheese in a dry frying pan on medium heat until golden brown.
Step 4 - Boil and puree the vegetarian bok choy soup
- Simmer the soup for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender and pour into a bowl. Add Halloumi to the soup and serve immediately.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
vegetarian bok choy soup
Vegetarian bok choy soup
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups kale washed and chopped
- 7 cups spinach fresh, washed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable broth
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Vegetarian bok choy soup
- Chop the shallots.
- Heat a large frying pan with olive oil and fry the onion for three minutes.
- Add the kale and stir-fry for three minutes.
- Add the spinach, bok choy and turmeric into the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute. If you can't add everything at once, add the vegetables in batches. Because of the heat, they will shrink and you can add some more to the pan.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil on high heat. Then turn the heat low.
- Let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender and season with salt and pepper.
- You can start preparing the topping when the soup is simmering. Cut the halloumi into cubes.
- Heat a pan over low heat and fry the halloumi until t's brown and crispy on both sides.
- Serve in a beautiful soup bowl.
- Top the soup with some fried Halloumi.
- TIP: drip a little olive oil for extra flavor in the soup.
Leave a Reply