Tender beef schnitzel in a flavorful tomato sauce with roasted vegetables and a cheesy Mozzarella gratin. A Beef Schnitzel Casserole with vegetables with an Italian twist due to the herbs, Mozzarella and not to forget delicious tomato sauce. The sauce gives a great flavor to the veggies and meat and there is enough sauce to mix with your pasta, which you can serve with it! This way you can quickly and easily prepare a healthy and above all tasty evening meal!
Italian Beef Schnitzel Casserole
Vegetables are an important part of your main meal, the Dutch Nutrition Center recommends ½ pound (250 grams) of vegetables for an adult per day. Do you sometimes find that so difficult to achieve? With this oven dish with a tasty spicy tomato sauce, carrots, onion, and zucchini, you are well on your way.
But more importantly, it's also super tasty! Baking the vegetables gives them a wonderful taste. And then mixed with a delicious spicy tomato sauce, which also gives the meat a nice taste.
I often serve it with pasta, such as spaghetti, and then mix the sauce with it. Extra cheese is not necessary, because you will find enough of that in the oven dish.
And that's nice to me! Really such an easy weekday meal that is always possible!
What do you need for Beef Schnitzel Parmigiana Bake
For the preparation of this Italian Beef Schnitzel Casserole you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog):
- Schnitzel - Use unbreaded beef schnitzel for this casserole. With breadcrumbs the crust becomes soft and that is not tasty. In this recipe Beef Schnitzel is used, but you can substitute it with Pork Schnitzel.
- Carrot and Zucchini - Cut into small cubes and bake them together with onion and garlic, these veggies get extra flavor. Mixing them in the oven dish with the tomato sauce, and then put them in the oven, where they are slowly cooked.
- Garlic and Onion - The spices that give a great taste for this casserole.
- Italian Seasoning - Give the tomato sauce extra depth and an Italian touch.
- Sieved Tomatoes - The base for the tomato sauce. Adding herbs and spices gives it a rich taste.
- Mozzarella and grated cheese - Top the beef schnitzel with Mozzarella and cheese and then bake it in the oven to make it sticky and golden brown.
How to prepare the Oven Baked Schnitzel Recipe
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
- Fry the onion, garlic, and carrot cubes in a skillet and then add the zucchini cubes. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the sieved tomatoes and sprinkle the Italian herbs through the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Place the cutlets in the pan and top with mozzarella slices.
- Pour over the vegetable tomato sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place in the oven for 20 minutes for a delicious cheese gratin. Serve the casserole with beef schnitzel and vegetables with a delicious pasta (spaghetti, fusilli or penne) and a delicious salad.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Italian Beef Schnitzel Casserole with Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 carrot cut into small cubes
- 1 zucchini cut into small cubes
- 1⅔ cup sieved tomatoes
- 1.1 lb schnitzels no crust, 4 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 5 oz. mozzarella slices
- 2 oz. cheese grated, like Gouda
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 355 °F (180 °C).
- Heat some oil in a frying pan2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Add the onion to the frying pan and bake it briefly until it's translucent.1 onion
- Put the garlic and diced carrots in the skillet and stir-fry for 3 minutes.1 clove garlic, 1 carrot
- Add the zucchini and bake for another 2 minutes.1 zucchini
- Finally, add the sieved tomatoes and Italian herbs and bring to a boil.1⅔ cup sieved tomatoes, 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Flavor the beef schnitzel with salt and pepper, and put them in the casserole dish.¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1.1 lb schnitzels
- Divide the mozzarella over the meat.5 oz. mozzarella
- Then pour the vegetable tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.2 oz. cheese
- Serve with a serving of whole-wheat pasta and a salad.
- Refrigerator - This recipe can be made a day in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator. Leftover Schnitzel. Let the schnitzel with sauce cool. Cover (or place in an airtight container). This way you can store the delicious leftover for up to 3 days
- Freezing - This is a freezer-proof recipe. Unbaked Schnitzel: You can pack the oven dish with unbaked schnitzel airtight. Remove from the freezer the day before and let it thaw in the fridge. Leftover Schnitzel: If you have leftovers, you can store them in a freezer box and let them thaw in the fridge.
- Reheating - Remove the schnitzel from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and let it adjust to room temperature. Bake an unbaked schnitzel casserole for 30 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C). Do you want to heat up leftover schnitzel with vegetables? Place the meat in an oven dish and cover with aluminum foil. Place the baking dish in the oven at 320 °F (160°C) for 30 minutes.