This crock-pot Carne Guisada will blow your mind. With just a few ingredients and the slow cooker, you can make a pan full of deliciously tender meat in a rich sauce full of Mexican flavors. And the smell of this Mexican Beef stew while cooking is irresistible!
In Mexico, you will find the most delicious Tex-Mex dishes such as this crock-pot Carne Guisada, which you eat with tacos or tortillas, baked beans, and rice. A delicious stew with deep flavors. With tender meat and a sauce full of flavor. A topper from the Mexican kitchen, which you can easily make in the slow cooker.
What is Carne Guisada?
If you have ever been to Mexico, you must have seen Carne Guisada on the menu of Mexican restaurants. This delicious Tex-Mex stew is deliciously tender and served in a spicy sauce. You eat it with tacos or tortillas, baked beans, and rice. And every region has its own Mexican pot roast recipe.
Carne means meat and this stew can be found in many variations in Mexico (and Puerto Rico). With chicken, pork, but in most cases, beef is used. Guisada means to stew and the stewed meat is wonderfully tender and contains a lot of flavors. Unlike Carne Asada, which is more famous, that is not a stewed beef, but marinated beef from the BBQ/grill.
What do you need to make this Flavorful Mexican Beef stew?
For the preparation of a good Carne Guisado you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts at the bottom of the blog in the recipe card):
- Meat - Chuck roast is used in this recipe. But you can also use a round roast (top or bottom) or tri-tip roast for this Latin beef stew.
- Broth - In this recipe, I use 1 cup of chicken stock because of the mild taste. You can also use vegetable stock or beef stock.
- Flour - Just plain-flour. It's used to thicken the sauce and add flavor to the meat.
- Spices - Normal spices. Some cumin, onion, garlic, black pepper and salt. You can add some extra spice to the dish by adding some ground chili pepper. Since this is a family recipe, it's not there.
How to make slow cooker Carne Guisada
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
For this easy recipe start
- Fry - Fry the onion, garlic and cumin shortly. This will ensure all the flavors will enhance (which makes the sauce so much better).
- Add Beef - Coat the beef with flour and fry it on medium-high heat. This makes sure the flour won't taste raw and the flour will thicken the sauce (and by coating the meat you won't having any lumps). If you're using a smaller skillet, fry the chunks of lean beef in portions. Start with half of the meat, remove from the skillet and then add the remaining meat.
- Stir - Make sure that the meat and tomato onion mixture is blend well. This will melt the flavors and give that great Carne Guisada taste!
- Slow cook - Turn the crockpot on and let the slow-cooker Carne Guisada cook for 6 to 8 hours. If you set the slow cooker to high, it will be ready in 4 -6 hours.
How to Serve Carne Guisada
- Tortilla or Taco's - as a filling, with fried rice and beans with onion, tomato and coriander. And some sour cream on the side. Other optional sides and fillings include: pepper, parsley, and a topping of Cheddar cheese. Use corn tortillas or fresh flour tortillas
- Mexican Stew Platter - with fried rice, sour cream and a green salad on the side. Delicious to serve with nacho's or a flat bread. Fried rice with garlic broccoli is a great side dish for this platter.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Crock-Pot Carne Guisada
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion chopped, white onion
- 1 tomato cut into cubes ½ x ½ cm
- 3 cloves garlic squeezed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ pound chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes (2-cm)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth vegetable stock or beef stock
- Heat a frying pan with oil over medium-high heat.1 tablespoon oil
- Add the onion and stir fry for 3 minutes until translucent.1 onion
- Add the tomato, garlic, and cumin and stir-fry for 30 seconds.1 tomato, 3 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons cumin
- Place the contents of the skillet in the slow cooker and add 1 tablespoon of oil to the frying pan.1 tablespoon oil
- Combine beef cubes with the flour and put them in the frying pan.2 tablespoons flour, 1 ½ pound chuck roast
- Cook until the meat is golden brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Also, put the meat in the slow cooker.
- Add salt, pepper, and stock to the slow cooker and put the lid on.¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, 1 cup chicken broth
- Turn on the slow cooker on low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Refrigerator - Store the Carne Guisada in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Frozen - Package the braised beef with sauce in a freezer box or bag. This keeps it good in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheat - Heat over low heat while continuing to stir, until warm.