What could be simpler than a recipe to make a homemade pan pizza foolproof? Those delicious Italian pizza flavors are made without an oven. Baked within 6 minutes, whereby the cheese is deliciously melted. With a recipe for homemade pizza dough, tomato sauce, and delicious topping.
Homemade Pan Pizza Recipe (Foolproof)
A quick pan pizza made in the skillet on the stove. Yes, indeed, no oven is involved. And you fry this pizza also super fast. The pizza is ready in about 6 minutes. Of course, you can buy ready-made pizza dough, tomato sauce, and topping (the baking remains the same), but I thought it would be nice to give the recipes for that too.
The preparation time then becomes a little longer because making the dough and the sauce need some waiting time, but it doesn't even take that much effort.
What do you need for a skillet pizza?
To prepare this foolproof homemade pan pizza, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog.
Ingredients Pan Pizza Dough
- Water - Use lukewarm water so that the yeast starts working right away.
- Flour - All-purpose flour is excellent for making pizza dough.
- Yeast - This recipe uses one teaspoon (4 grams) of instant yeast. If you prefer to use fresh yeast, you need ¼ oz. (7 grams). You need one teaspoon (4 grams) if you use dry yeast. Note: with both fresh yeast and dry yeast, you must first dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water before adding it.
- Salt - Adds flavor to the pizza dough. But watch out with yeast because salt can kill the yeast if it comes into contact in large amounts. That is why you knead the dough lightly, distribute the salt over the dough and knead further.
Ingredients Pan Pizza Tomato sauce
- Sieved tomatoes - The basis for this sauce. These tomatoes are sieved and have no seeds or skins.
- Onion and Garlic - Used to give the tomato sauce extra flavor.
- Olive Oil - Use extra virgin olive oil to add flavor to the pizza sauce.
- Sugar - Tomatoes are always a bit sour, and the sugar makes the sweetness, which is also a flavor in tomatoes, more recognizable.
- Italian seasoning - Dried Italian seasoning mix is fine. These give the Italian touch to the tomato sauce.
Ingredients Topping Ham, Mozzarella, and Arugula
- Mozzarella - Mozzarella is a cheese that melts wonderfully. The most delicious and the only real Mozzarella is the buffalo mozzarella. So really recommended. But if you can't gain it, you can use cow's milk Mozzarella.
- Grated cheese - Take a unique pizza or Gouda cheese, grated for the topping.
- Cured ham - A ham with a salty taste, delicious in combination with the cheese, the sweetness in the tomato sauce, and the nutty arugula. You can also replace the cured ham with Prosciutto or Parma ham. Bake the ham or spread it on the pizza after baking.
- Arugula - A peppery lettuce with a nutty flavor. Spread the arugula on top of the pizza after baking.
How to prepare Pan Pizza
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Put the water, yeast, and flour in a bowl and mix into a dough in two minutes. Sprinkle with the salt and mix for another 10 minutes to form an elastic, soft dough. Place in a greased bowl and turn once. Cover with plastic foil and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Fry the chopped onion in the pan for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute. Pour the sieved tomatoes into the pan and season the pizza sauce with Italian herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out both doughs to the size of your skillet. Heat olive oil in the pan and place the pizza dough in the pan. Let it cook on high heat for 1 minute. Then turn the pizza base over.
- Top the pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella pieces, and grated cheese. Put the lid on the pan and turn the heat down to medium. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Homemade Pan Pizza Recipe (Foolproof)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast instant
- ⅔ cup water lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups sieved tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs such as thyme, basil, rosemary, dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 portion dough see recipe above
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 portion tomato sauce see recipe above
- 2 oz. mozzarella
- 2 oz grated cheese Gouda or a Pizza cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary to taste
- 6 slices cured ham Prosciutto or Parmaham
- 2 oz. Arugula
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Mix the flour with the yeast and water for 2 minutes to form a dough.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon yeast, ⅔ cup water
- Then sprinkle over the salt and mix for another 10 minutes until you have an elastic dough.1 teaspoon salt
- Brush a bowl with some oil and place the dough in it. Turn the dough once. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Put it in a warm place for an hour to let it rise.
- Press the air out of the dough.
- The dough is ready to use.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan until hot (medium heat)1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put the onion into the pan and fry for 2 minutes.1 onion
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for an extra minute.1 clove garlic
- Pour the sieved tomatoes into the pan and stir well.2 cups sieved tomatoes
- Add the herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper, mix well and bring to a boil.2 teaspoons Italian herbs, 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- The sauce is ready to use
Preparation Pizza and Topping
- Take half of the dough and roll it out to the size of the skillet.1 portion dough
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over high heat until hot, and place the pizza in the pan.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bake for 1 minute and turn the pizza over; turn the heat to medium-high.
- Immediately spread half of the tomato sauce on top of the pizza and divide half of the mozzarella and the grated cheese over the sauce. Sprinkle with the herbs. Place the lid on the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until the cheese has melted.1 portion tomato sauce, 2 oz. mozzarella, 2 oz grated cheese
- Remove the pizza from the pan.
- Repeat for the other half of the dough.
- Divide the ham over the pizzas and sprinkle over the arugula and Italian herbs. Drizzle with delicious olive oil. (optional but tasty!)1 teaspoon Italian herbs, 6 slices cured ham, 2 oz. Arugula
- Serve right away!
You can store the pizza without the arugula topping. Do that as follows:
- Refrigerator - Place the pizza on kitchen paper and keep the pizza covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - Place the pizza on kitchen paper and then wrap the pizza in two layers of plastic wrap or a freezer box. This keeps it good in the freezer for up to two months. Then, let thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheat - Bake the pizza for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C). You can also use a frying pan with a lid. This will take about 6 minutes until the cheese is well melted.