This easy-baked and crispy honey sesame chicken breast really has everything you could wish for on your plate. Deliciously crunchy, baked in the oven, with a sticky sweet honey soy sauce. The sauce coats each piece of chicken while all the flavors blend. And that tastes so good. It's just fighting who gets the last piece, for sure.
This is one of those recipes that will make you wonder why I didn't discover it sooner. A gem from Chinese cuisine. Often fried, but in this recipe, I chose the chicken to bake in the oven. As a result, it is less fat, but still very crispy.
The sauce is a blend of all kinds of flavors: sweet honey, the deep taste of soy sauce, the salty stock, and the sourness of the Chinese wine vinegar. This combination gives a sweet and sour sauce that will really boost your taste buds.
All in all, this easy recipe can be on the table in less than half an hour. So great for a regular busy weeknight. This Chinese honey chicken from the oven will certainly be on the table here very often.
Combine this recipe with delicious noodles, chicken spring rolls, and a spicy cucumber salad.
What do you need to prepare sesame chicken with honey garlic sauce?
Here are the ingredients you need for this honey sesame chicken recipe:
A soy sauce for the chicken and one for the sauce
For marinating use a light or salted soy sauce.
But when preparing the garlic honey sauce keep it sweet and use kecap Manis, kecap Medja, or another sweet soy sauce.
Which chicken to use for this recipe?
Use deboned chicken breast or chicken thigh fillet for this recipe. Make sure the pieces are about the same size so they cook at the same time.
How to prepare sesame chicken in the oven (and get a crispy bite)
A very simple recipe to make crispy chicken with a delicious sweet honey sauce. Start by coating the chicken with sesame seeds and bake in the oven until done. Meanwhile, make the sweet honey soy sauce in a skillet. Pour the sauce over the grilled chicken strips (making sure each piece of chicken is coated with it). Garnish with some extra sesame seeds and spring onions. Delicious with white rice and a spicy cucumber salad!
- Tomayto, tomahto - For a touch of tomato (which gives the sauce a deeper flavor and adds an extra touch of acidity), add ketchup to the sauce.
- Extra vitamins - Add stir-fried broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms, diced zucchini to the sauce when ready for extra vegetables.
- Tropical - Put diced pineapple, mango, or fruit cocktail into the sauce.
- Spicy - Add Szechuan pepper. You can also add chili sauce for more spice.
Can you also make this recipe with the Airfryer or in the deep fryer? Yes, you can:
Airfryer - You can also cook and grill the chicken in the air fryer (390 °F / 200 °C) for 15 minutes. (The separate baking and grilling step is not necessary here) Try to spread them as much as possible as one layer on the bottom. They will become slightly less crispy compared to the oven.
Remove the pieces from the air fryer and mix them with the sauce. Serve right away!
Deep fryer - If you want to make this recipe in the deep fryer (and this will give you the crunchiest chicken), make a batter first to dip the chicken in. Mix 65 grams flour with 30 grams cornflour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 egg white, 80 ml cold water, 1 tablespoon oil, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Mix this well.
Heat the frying pan to 350 °F/ 180 °C. Dip the chicken in the batter and then fry until golden brown. Make sure you don't put too much chicken in the frying pan at the same time, otherwise you will end up with a lump of chicken (if not tasty!).
Remove the chicken from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper. Place in a bowl and pour in the sauce, letting it cover the chicken pieces completely. Serve right away!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Easy baked crispy honey sesame chicken breast
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into ½ inch / 1 cm wide strips
Sticky honey soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 7 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F/ 200°C.
- Brush a baking tray or large baking dish with oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the tahini, salt, soy sauce, and sesame seeds.2 teaspoons tahini, ½ teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a second bowl, put the flour.½ cup flour
- Dip the chicken first in the sesame marinade and then in the flour. Place on the baking tray. Repeat for all chicken pieces.1 lb chicken breast
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 12 minutes. He is then light brown. Remove from the oven.
- Turn on the grill on the highest setting.
- Turn each piece of chicken over and return the dish to the oven. Grill the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Sticky honey soy sauce
- Mix the Mirin, stock, rice vinegar, honey, sweet soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl.1 ½ tablespoon mirin, 1 ¼ cup broth, 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, 3 teaspoons Kecap Manis, 3 teaspoons sesame oil, 7 tablespoons honey
- In a second bowl, mix the cornflour with the rest of the stock.2½ tablespoon cornstarch, ¼ cup stock
- Heat the oil in a pan and stir-fry the chopped garlic for 30 seconds.2 tablespoon sunflower oil, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Pour the cornstarch sauce into the pan and while you keep stirring, bring the sauce to a boil.
- Let the sauce thicken and turn off the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken just before serving.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onions.½ tablespoon sesame seeds, 1 spring onion
- Delicious with rice and a salad.
- Tahini - You can also replace the tahini with peanut butter or cashew nut paste.
- Broth - Use chicken stock or vegetable stock. Or just take water.
- Mirin - You can also replace this with sherry.
- Rice vinegar - If you don't have rice vinegar, you can also use normal white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Flour - You can also replace the flour with cornstarch.
- Refrigerator - Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - Place leftovers in a freezer box or bag once they have cooled down. This way you can keep it up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator.
- Reheat - Best done in a skillet over medium heat. Add some extra soy sauce or water as the sauce will have thickened slightly (about 3 tablespoons). Keep stirring until it is hot (otherwise it will stick).
Leave a Reply