These are the BEST Indonesian mini spring rolls you've ever eaten. With a crispy exterior and a juicy filling of minced meat, shrimps, and vegetables. Fry them or bake them in the air fryer. And serve them at your next party or Asian buffet. Success guaranteed!
These mini spring rolls are SO delicious. That I just had to make them twice before I had a picture of them. The first time they were just gone. All eaten. The bowl was completely empty. Fortunately, it is an easy recipe and they were replenished in no time.
This recipe is adapted from the blog Keuken van de zoete inval
Because I had spring roll wrappers at home, I decided to make mini spring rolls . With a delicious filling of minced meat, shrimps, leek and herbs. And I served the mini spring rolls with a delicious homemade sweet and sour tomato sauce. And that was a success! I've made them twice now and this is certainly not the last time.
A full list of ingredients can be found at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
Mini spring rolls
- Minced meat and shrimp - the protein-rich filling of these mini spring rolls. We fry it briefly so that the filling is already done before we use to roll it into the spring roll.
- Coriander, Cumin, Garlic - The spices that give the mini spring rolls their delicious flavor.
- Leeks and Celery - Finely chop the vegetables before adding them. They provide structure and a delicious juicy filling.
- Egg - With one egg you bind the filling of the spring roll. Break the other egg in half and collect the egg white. Beat that egg white slightly. With this you can "glue" your spring roll so that it keeps its shape.
- Pangsit, wonton, or spring roll sheets - The crispy outside of the mini spring roll. I cut large spring roll sheets into quarters, so the sheets are just right for a mini spring roll. If you don't want to do that, you can also make a large spring roll with these sheets. When you've opened the sheets package, keep them in a damp tea towel. This way you can better separate the sheets when preparing the mini lumpia's.
Sweet and sour tomato sauce (dip)
- Tomatoes - No tomato sauce without tomatoes!
- Lime - The lime juice provides the sour part of the sweet and sour sauce.
- Sweet soy sauce and Gula Djawa (Palm sugar) - Provide the sweetness in this sauce.
- Ginger - This makes the sauce spicy and soft.
A recipe that can be printed can be found at the bottom of this blog in the recipe card.
Step 1 - Make the filling
- Mix ground beef and shrimp in a bowl.
- Add the coriander, cumin, leek, and garlic and mix well.
- Add the egg.
- Mix everything well. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the mixture until done.
Step 2 - Fry the filling and add celery.
Drain the excess liquid / fat and add celery. Season with salt and pepper. Stir everything through and let it cool down.
Step 3 - Roll the spring rolls
- Grab a spring roll sheet and place it in front of you so that you have a diamond shape. Take one tablespoon of the filling and put it on the bottom.
- Now fold the sheet around the filling.
- Roll the lumpia sheet upwards and brush with some beaten egg white.
- Fold the sides to the middle. Repeat for all mini spring rolls.
Step 4 - Bake the lumpia's
Deep-fry the mini spring rolls for 4 minutes at 355 °F (180 °C) until golden brown. Or bake them golden brown in an air-fryer for 8 minutes at 390 °F (200 °C).
Step 5 - Prepare the sweet and sour tomato sauce
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into small cubes. Heat oil in the pan and add the tomatoes, ginger, and sweet soy sauce. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the limes over the pan. Also, add the palm sugar. Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
Mini lumpia's from the air fryer or oven
Spring rolls are often fried, but you can also easily make them in the oven or air fryer. Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C) (not necessary for the air fryer) and bake the mini spring rolls for 8 minutes. They will be slightly lighter in color (see photo, the bottom mini spring roll is fried, the top mini spring roll comes from the air fryer), but just as tasty!
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to seeing it. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. Don't forget to save my recipes on Pinterest so you can find them easily next time. See you soon!
Indonesian spring rolls
- Deep Fryer or Frying pan with sunflower oil
Mini spring rolls
- ½ pound minced beef
- ½ pound shrimp
- ½ tablespoon coriander
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 2 oz. leek
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg size M
- 1 stalk celery
- ⅙ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 12 lumpia sheets quartered (or 48 pangsit sheets)
- 1 egg white size S
Sweet and sour tomato sauce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1½ inch ginger
- 2 limes juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
When deep frying
- Sunflower oil
- Squeeze the garlic and grate the ginger.
- Cut the leek into fine strips.
- Slice the celery and tomatoes into small cubes.
- If you've got large spring roll wrappers, quarter them. Wrap the spring roll sheets in a damp tea towel.
Make the mini spring roll stuffing
- Place the minced meat and shrimp into a bowl.
- Add coriander, cumin, leek, and egg and mix well.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil into a frying pan and add the filling to the pan.
- Bake for five minutes until the mixture is brown. Drain the excess moisture.
- Add the cubes of celery, salt, and pepper to the filling and mix.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes.
Prepare the mini lumpia's
- Put the egg white in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Place a spring roll sheet in front of you in a diamond shape.
- Take some filling, about 1 tablespoon. Place that on the point and then roll it upwards over the filling (to the other point).
- Brush the lumpia with egg white (so it sticks well) and fold the sheet inwards.
- Repeat this until the filling is finished.
Homemade sweet and sour tomato sauce
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a saucepan.
- Add the tomato cubes, ginger, and soy sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes.
- Squeeze the limes into the pan.
- Add the palm sugar and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Baking the Indonesian mini spring rolls
- Deep fry method: Heat the deep fryer to 355 °F (180 °C) and fry the spring rolls for 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Airfryer or oven: Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C) (this is not necessary for an air fryer). Bake the spring rolls for 8 minutes until golden brown.
2. - Replacements:
Shrimp - You can replace the shrimp with chicken cubes or mushrooms.
Minced meat - You can replace the minced meat with chicken cubes or mushrooms.
Spring roll sheets - You can also use wonton or pangsit sheets. And even phyllo dough is a good substitute for these sheets.
3. - Deep fryer, oven, or air fryer?
All three methods are great for baking your spring roll. Of course, frying is the most calorie-dense method. Your filling spring roll will be fattier. But the oven and air fryer also provide a crispy spring roll.
4. - Store
You can keep spring rolls covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Spring rolls can be stored fried or unbaked in the freezer for three months. Keep them in a freezer box and place a baking paper between the spring rolls. Let them thaw in the refrigerator, or bake them straight from the freezer (extend the baking time by two minutes).
6. - Nutrition - The nutrition values are shown per mini spring roll with sauce.