These are the BEST Indonesian mini spring rolls you've ever eaten. With a crispy exterior and a juicy filling of minced meat, shrimps, and vegetables. Fry them or bake them in the air fryer. And serve them at your next party or Asian buffet. Success guaranteed!
These mini lumpia's are SO delicious. That I just had to make them twice before I had a picture of them. The first time they were just gone. All eaten. The bowl was completely empty. Fortunately, it is an easy recipe and they were replenished in no time.
This recipe is adapted from the blog Keuken van de zoete inval
Because I had spring roll wrappers at home, I decided to make mini egg rolls. With a delicious filling of minced meat, shrimps, leek, and herbs. And I served the snacks with a delicious homemade sweet and sour tomato sauce. And that was a success! I've made them twice now and this is certainly not the last time.
- Minced meat and shrimp - the protein-rich filling of these appetizers. We fry it briefly so that the filling is already done before we use it.
- Coriander, Cumin, Garlic - The spices that flavors the filling.
- Leeks and Celery - Finely chop the vegetables before adding them. They provide structure and make sure the filling stays juicy.
- Egg - With one egg you bind the filling. Break the other egg in half and collect the egg white. Beat that egg white slightly. With this, you can "glue" your pastry so that it keeps its shape.
- Pangsit, wonton, or spring roll pastry - The crispy outside. I cut large spring roll pastry sheets into quarters, so they are just the right size for a mini spring roll. If you don't want to do that, you can also make a large spring roll with these sheets. When you've opened the sheets package, keep them in a damp tea towel. This way you can better separate the sheets when preparing the egg rolls.
Sweet and sour tomato sauce (dip)
- Tomatoes - No tomato sauce without tomatoes!
- Lime - The lime juice provides the sour part of the sweet and sour sauce.
- Sweet soy sauce and Gula Djawa (Palm sugar) - Provide the sweetness in this sauce.
- Ginger - This makes the sauce spicy and soft.
Step 1 - Make the filling
- Mix ground beef and shrimp in a bowl.
- Add the coriander, cumin, leek, and garlic and mix well.
- Put the egg with the other ingredients.
- Mix everything well.
Step 2 - Fry the filling and add celery.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the mixture until done. Drain the excess liquid/fat and add celery. Season with salt and pepper. Stir everything through and let it cool down.
Step 3 - Roll them
- Grab a pastry sheet and place it in front of you so that you have a diamond shape. Take one tablespoon of the filling and put it on the bottom.
- Now fold the sheet around the filling.
- Roll the egg roll wrappers upwards and brush with some beaten egg white.
- Fold the sides to the middle. Repeat until all your sheets or filling is done.
Step 4 - Bake the lumpia's
Deep-fry the mini spring rolls for 4 minutes at 355 °F (180 °C) until golden brown. Or bake them golden brown in an air-fryer for 8 minutes at 390 °F (200 °C).
Step 5 - Prepare the sweet and sour tomato sauce
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into small cubes. Heat oil in the pan and add the tomatoes, ginger, and sweet soy sauce. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the limes over the pan. Also, add the palm sugar. Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
Egg rolls are often deep-fried, but you can also easily make them in the oven or air fryer. Preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 °C) (not necessary for the air fryer) and bake the mini spring rolls on a baking sheet in a single layer for 8 minutes. They will be slightly lighter in color (see photo, the bottom mini spring roll is fried, the top mini spring roll is air fried), but just as tasty!
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Indonesian spring rolls
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
Mini spring rolls
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg size M
- 1 stalk celery
- ⅙ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg white size S
Sweet and sour tomato sauce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1½ inch fresh ginger
- 2 limes juice
- 1 tablespoon Kecap Manis
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
When deep frying
- Sunflower oil
- Squeeze the garlic and grate the ginger.3 cloves garlic, 1½ inch fresh ginger
- Cut the leek into fine strips.2 oz. leek
- Slice the celery and tomatoes into small cubes.1 stalk celery, 3 tomatoes
- If you've got large spring roll wrappers, quarter them. Wrap the eggroll wrappers in a damp tea towel.12 lumpia sheets
Make the mini spring roll stuffing
- Place the minced beef and shrimp into a bowl.½ pound minced beef, ½ pound shrimp
- Add coriander, cumin, leek, and egg and mix well.½ tablespoon ground coriander, ½ tablespoon ground cumin, 1 egg
- Heat two tablespoons of oil into a frying pan and add the filling to the pan.
- Bake for five minutes until the mixture is brown. Drain the excess moisture.
- Add the cubes of celery, salt, and pepper to the filling and mix.⅙ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Let it cool for 30 minutes.
Prepare the mini lumpia's
- Put the egg white in a bowl and mix with a fork.1 egg white
- Place a spring roll sheet in front of you in a diamond shape.
- Take some filling, about 1 tablespoon. Place that on the point and then roll it upwards over the filling (to the other point).
- Brush the lumpia with egg white (so it sticks well) and fold the sheet inwards.
- Repeat this until the filling is finished.
Homemade sweet and sour tomato sauce
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a saucepan.
- Add the tomato cubes, ginger, and soy sauce and bring to a boil.1 tablespoon Kecap Manis
- Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes.
- Squeeze the limes into the pan.2 limes
- Add the palm sugar and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.2 teaspoons palm sugar
- Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Baking the Indonesian mini spring rolls
- Deep fry method: Heat the deep fryer to 355 °F (180 °C) and fry the spring rolls for 4 minutes until golden brown.Sunflower oil
- Airfryer or oven: Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C) (this is not necessary for an air fryer). Bake the spring rolls for 8 minutes until golden brown.