A potato pancake, adapted from an Amish recipe. Delicious and creamy mashed potatoes, flavored with onion, salt, and pepper. And afterward baked crispy in creamy butter in a frying pan.
The Amish are a religious community that's located in the United States of America. They do not use modern tools and live frugally and in harmony with their Biblical teachings.
And, when you look at their recipes, they eat pure food. No preservatives and made on the gas or in the oven. But that doesn't make their recipes any less delicious. This potato pancake proved that. A variation on mashed potatoes, but extra tasty because of the creamy crispy crust.
An easy recipe
It's a very easy recipe, for which you only need a few ingredients. You probably even have them all at home. Boil a large kilo of potatoes and mash them. Stir in onion, salt, and pepper.
Heat some oil and butter in the pan and spoon the mashed potatoes into the pan. Then press it lightly and let it bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 5 minutes.
That's all. My family loves the potato pancake and it's now a regular on the menu.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1200 grams potatoes floury, eg Russet potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes until done.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Mash the potatoes and add to the onion.
- Heat a frying pan and pour the oil into the pan and melt the butter. When the butter has melted, turn the heat low.
- Spoon the purée to the pan and ironing your smooth with the back (convex side) of a spoon.
- Allow 15 minutes soft bake.
- Cut into quarters and turn the pieces.
- Let the other side brown for 5 minutes.