Puff pastry cinnamon rolls recipe with pecans and cranberries are made for brunch or Sunday breakfast. Homemade, crunchy, slightly sweet and very easy to prepare. With the first bite, you immediately have that WOW flavor. A recipe to surprise your family and friends.
Cinnamon Rolls for your next Brunch
I'm sure these homemade puff pastry rolls will be baked at our next brunch. Or maybe when I'm in the mood for a sweet crave at our next Sunday breakfast. Because this recipe is fairly easy and quick (ready in 30 minutes) to prepare.
Those sweet cranberries, cinnamon, and pecans are covered with a buttery puff pastry coat which will become crunchy in the oven. And you'll only need 6 ingredients for this recipe. An easy recipe for sure!
Cranberries, pecans, and cinnamon are a great food combo
These cinnamon rolls are filled with cranberries and pecans, and I choose this filing because these ingredients combine great with cinnamon. The recipe for itself is fast and easy, within 10 minutes the cinnamon buns are in the oven. And after 20 minutes baking, they can be served.
The recipe is adapted from the blog of Inge and Elsa (Elsarblog, Dutch) and was made for a foodblogswap. In this swap, a recipe is selected and adapted from an assigned blog.
Cranberry cinnamon rolls are crunchy, sweet, and very easy to prepare. A quick and easy recipe to surprise your family and friends.
- Cinnamon Rolls for your next Brunch
- Cranberries, pecans, and cinnamon are a great food combo
- Why choose these homemade cinnamon buns?
- What do you need for Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls
- How to prepare Puff Pastry Cinnamon Pinwheels
- Step 3 - Slice it
- Tips, Substitutions and Variations
- Storage and preparation
- Cranberry cinnamon rolls recipe with pecan and cranberries
- 3 x Sweet Brunch
Why choose these homemade cinnamon buns?
- Only 6 ingredients, an easy-peasy recipe. Because you're working with puff pastry.
- Within 10 minutes, all 19 cinnamon rolls with pecan and cranberries are baking in the oven.
- These cinnamon buns are made without eggs and without yeast.
- Budget-friendly recipe
- A recipe that is great when entertaining a big group of people or if you want to serve a brunch buffet.
- You can prepare everything in advance and freeze it, so you only have to bake the buns when needed.
- It can be baked in small batches. If you're only with a few, you can prepare these delicious cranberry rolls and divide the buns into batches. The ones you'll be going to eat are baked and the rest of them are frozen in batches.
What do you need for Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls
You require the following ingredients to prepare this Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Puff pastry roll: the easiest choice is a roll of store-bought puff pastry. But if you can't get a roll, you can attach separate sheets of puff pastry to each other. Push the sides with your fingers. Then take a rolling pin and roll over the pastry, so it will become even (about ¼ inch / 5 mm thick)
- Butter: use butter without salt
- Sugar and cinnamon: the ingredients necessary for cinnamon sugar
- Pecan nuts: use unsalted pecan nuts and chop them coarse
- Cranberries: use dried cranberries. Soak them for 10 minutes in hot water. That way they won't burn when baked in the oven.
How to prepare Puff Pastry Cinnamon Pinwheels
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
Step 1 - Spread the filling
- Roll the puff pastry. Soak the cranberries for 10 minutes in hot water and pat dry. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and melt the butter.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with the melted butter. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on the puff pastry and spread pecans and cranberries on top.
Step 2 - Roll it
Put the puff pastry with the long side in front of you. Roll from top to bottom.
Step 3 - Slice it
Cut the roll in slices of ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Put the rolls on the baking sheet. Make sure to spread the buns. Keep a 1-inch distance (2 cm) between the rolls (they will become bigger when baked in the oven).
Step 4 - Bake it
Bake the puff pastry cinnamon buns for 20 minutes in a preheated oven of 400 °F (ca. 204 °C) until they're golden brown. Take them off the baking plate. They can be eaten immediately, or you can cool them on a wire rack. They can be eaten warm and cold.
Tips, Substitutions and Variations
- Filling variatons:
- Use walnuts, hazelnuts, or cashew nuts.
- Instead of cranberries, you can opt for raisins, apples, or dates or use chocolate chunks
- Use brown sugar instead of white.
- Some great combos:
- walnut apple filling
- hazelnut with chocolate chunks
- dates with chopped cashews and brown sugar
- Sometimes cinnamon rolls are drizzled with a sweet sauce. I didn't choose that, because it's already quite a sweet bread, but feel free to use one of these options.
- Glaze. It can be store-bought or make your own. Use 2 cups (0.5 l) of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) and mix them with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Sprinkle this on top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Salted caramel sauce. In this macaron recipe, I made my own salted caramel sauce which is a great topping for these small sweetbreads.
- Chocolate sauce: Bring ½ cup of cream to a boil. Turn the heat off and stir 4 ounces (ca. 150 g) of chopped dark chocolate through the cream. Whisk until the chocolate is dissolved.
- Use a puff pastry roll instead of individual sheets. This makes the recipe much easier.
- Melt the butter on low heat and turn off the heat just before the last bit is melted. You don't want to brown or burn the butter. Butter contains solid parts which can burn.
- Keep 1 inch (2.5 cm) distance between the buns when baking them. They will rise a bit and otherwise, they will cling together.
Storage and preparation
- A day before making these rolls, you can chop the pecans and make the cinnamon sugar. You can store these in an airtight jar at room temperature. And the cranberries can already be soaked in water. Store the cranberries in the refrigerator.
- If you want to prepare the cinnamon rolls in advance, so you only have to bake them (or you don't want to eat everything at once). Roll the puff pastry and cut it into slices. Cut some baking paper into small squares (2 x 2 inches, 5 x 5 cm) and put them in between the puff pastry slices. Put in an airtight container and freeze.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Cranberry cinnamon rolls recipe with pecan and cranberries
- 10 oz. puff pastry 16 x 10 inch (40 x 24 cm)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ oz. pecan nuts finely chopped
- 1½ oz. cranberries
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Soak the cranberries for 10 minutes in hot water and pat them dry.1½ oz. cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F or 355 °F
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Prepare the rolls
- Unroll the puff pastry.10 oz. puff pastry
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.2 tablespoons butter
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with the melted butter.
- Mix the cinnamon with sugar and sprinkle on the butter.2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 3 tablespoons sugar
- Also, spread the pecans and cranberries on the sugar.1½ oz. pecan nuts
- Roll the puff pastry (wide side) from bottom to top.
- Cut with a sharp knife the roll in ½ inch thick slices (1 cm).
- Spread the rolls on the baking plate.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Preparation: A day before making these rolls, you can chop the pecans and make the cinnamon sugar. You can store these in an airtight jar at room temperature. And the cranberries can already be soaked in water. Store the cranberries in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: Roll the puff pastry and cut in slices. Cut some baking paper in small squares (2 x 2 inches, 5 x 5 cm) and put them in between the puff pastry slices. Put in an airtight container and freeze. You can store them for 2 months. Let them thaw at room temperature.