Cranberry cinnamon rolls recipe with pecans and puff pastry are made for brunch or Sunday breakfast. Homemade, crunchy, slightly sweet and very easy to prepare. With the first bite you immediately have that WOW flavor. A recipe to surprise your family and friends.
I'm sure these homemade puff pastry rolls will be baked at our next brunch. Or maybe when I'm in the mood for a sweet crave at our next Sunday breakfast. Because this recipe is fairly easy and quick (ready in 30 minutes) to prepare.
Those sweet cranberries, cinnamon and pecans are covered with a buttery puff pastry coat which will become crunchy in the oven. And you'll only need 6 ingredients for this recipe. An easy recipe for sure!
Cranberries, pecans and cinnamon are a great foodcombo
These cinnamon rolls are filled with cranberries and pecans and I choose this filing because these ingredients combine great with cinnamon. The recipe for it self is fast and easy, within 10 minutes the cinnamon buns are in the oven. And after 20 minutes baking they can be served.
The recipe is adapted from the blog of Inge and Elsa (Elsarblog, Dutch) and was made for a foodblogswap. In this swap a recipe is chosen and adapted from an assigned blog.
Cranberry cinnamon rolls are crunchy, sweet, and very easy to prepare. A quick and easy recipe to surprise your family and friends.
Why choose these homemade cinnamon buns?
- Only 6 ingredients, an easy peasy recipe. Because you're working with puff pastry.
- Within 10 minutes all 19 cinnamon rolls with pecan and cranberries are baking in the oven.
- These cinnamon buns are made without eggs and without yeast.
- Budget-friendly recipe
- A recipe that is great when entertaining a big group of people or if you want to serve a brunch buffet.
- You can prepare everything in advance and freeze it, so you only have to bake the buns when needed.
- It can be baked in small batches. If you're only with a few, you can prepare these delicious cranberry rolls and divide the buns into batches. The ones you'll going to eat are baked and the rest of them are frozen in batches.
- Puff pastry roll: the easiest choice is a roll store-bought puff pastry. But if you can't get a roll, you can attach separate sheets of puff pastry to each other. Push the sides with your fingers. Then take a rolling pin and roll over the pastry so it will become even (about ¼ inch / 5 mm thick)
- Butter: use butter without salt
- Sugar and cinnamon: the ingredients necessary for cinnamon sugar
- Pecan nuts: use unsalted pecan nuts and chop them coarse
- Cranberries: use dried cranberries. Soak them for 10 minutes in hot water. That way they won't burn when baked in the oven.
Step 1 - Spread the filling
Roll the puff pastry. Soak the cranberries for 10 minutes in hot water and pat dry. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and melt the butter.
Brush the top of the puff pastry with the melted butter. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on the puff pastry and spread pecans and cranberries on top.
Step 2 - Roll it
Put the puff pastry with the long side in front of you. Roll from top to bottom.
Step 3 - Slice it
Cut the roll in slices of ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Put the rolls on the baking sheet. Make sure to spread the buns. Keep a 1-inch distance (2 cm) between the rolls (they will become bigger when baked in the oven).
Step 4 - Bake it
Bake the puff pastry cinnamon buns for 20 minutes in a preheated oven of 400 °F (200 °C) until they're golden brown. Take them off the baking plate. They can be eaten immediately or you can cool them on a wire rack. They can be eaten warm and cold.
Other cinnamon roll flavors
These cinnamon rolls are filled with cranberries and chopped pecans. But there are more flavors that combine really good with these buns.
- use walnuts, hazelnuts, or cashew nuts.
- instead of cranberries, you can opt for raisins, apples, or dates.
- or use chocolate chunks
- use brown sugar instead of white.
- Some great combo's:
- walnut apple filling
- hazelnut with chocolate chunks
- dates with chopped cashews and brown sugar
- Sometimes cinnamon rolls are drizzled with a sweet sauce. I didn't choose that, because it's already quite a sweet bread, but feel free to use one of these options.
- Glaze. Can be store-bought or make your own. Use 2 cups of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) and mix them with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Sprinkle this on top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Salted caramel sauce. In this macaron recipe, I made my own salted caramel sauce which is a great topping for these small sweetbreads.
- Chocolate sauce: Bring ½ cup of cream to a boil. Turn the heat off and stir 4 ounces of chopped dark chocolate through the cream. Whisk until the chocolate is dissolved.
- Use a puff pastry roll instead of individual sheets. This makes the recipe much easier.
- Melt the butter on low heat and turn off the heat just before the last bit is melted. You don't want to brown or burn the butter. Butter contains solid parts which can burn.
- Keep 1 inch (2 cm) distance between the buns when baking them. They will rise a bit and otherwise, they will cling together.
Storage and preparation
- A day before making these rolls you can chop the pecans and make the cinnamon sugar. You can store these in an airtight jar at room temperature. And the cranberries can already be soaked in water. Store the cranberries in the refrigerator.
- If you want to prepare the cinnamon rolls in advance so you only have to bake them (or you don't want to eat everything at once). Roll the puff pastry and cut it into slices. Cut some baking paper into small squares (2 x 2 inches, 5 x 5 cm) and put them in between the puff pastry slices. Put in an air-tight container and freeze.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Cranberry cinnamon rolls recipe with pecan and cranberries
- 10 oz. puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ oz. pecan nuts
- 1½ oz. cranberries
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Soak the cranberries for 10 minutes in hot water and pat them dry.1½ oz. cranberries
- Chop the pecan nuts fine.1½ oz. pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Prepare the rolls
- Unroll the puff pastry.10 oz. puff pastry
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.2 tablespoons butter
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with the melted butter.
- Mix the cinnamon with sugar and sprinkle on the butter.2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3 tablespoons sugar
- Also, spread the pecans and cranberries on the sugar.
- Roll the puff pastry (wide side) from bottom to top.
- Cut with a sharp knife the roll in ½ inch thick slices (1 cm).
- Spread the rolls on the baking plate.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes in the oven.
Leave a Reply