Risotto ai Funghi (Mushroom Risotto), creamy with earthy flavors, is a delicacy on your plate. You can make this recipe super easy with my tips to prepare risotto quickly (and without much work). Who can resist a delicious dish with the delicious flavors of creamy risotto, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and mushrooms?
Risotto ai Funghi
Risotto is such an easy-to-eat meal. Everything is in a bowl (or plate), and you get a taste explosion with every bite.
This risotto recipe is super easy to make. Filled with golden brown chestnut mushrooms, pine nuts, sun-dried tomato tapenade, and cheese, an irresistibly delicious recipe (but that's how everything tastes good, right).
And not only that, there is a lot of filling in it (I find it annoying when the filling has flown through, and you have to search to find the mushrooms.
That makes this recipe irresistibly delicious!
What do you need for Mushroom Risotto?
To prepare this risotto ai Funghi, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Butter - to fry the mushrooms and risotto. You could also use oil, but butter is said to be better for mushroom and truffle risottos.
- Garlic - To flavor the risotto and mushrooms.
- Mushrooms - Mushrooms can be white or brown. The brown mushrooms, also called Rimini mushrooms or baby Bella, have a deeper flavor than the white ones. Because this recipe depends on mushrooms for taste, I used the brown variety (but you could also opt for the white ones). This risotto is also delicious with Porcini (dried Porcini mushrooms), Shiitake, and/or a touch of truffle.
- Thyme - Use dried thyme to add lots of flavor to the mushrooms.
- Shallots - To flavor the risotto.
- Arborio rice - For a risotto need rice that contains a lot of starch. This allows them to absorb a lot of moisture, which gives extra flavor and makes the rice creamy. Arborio rice is best known and available in most supermarkets. You can also choose Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice. These rice types also contain a lot of starch (and are even better in quality compared to the Arborio)
- White wine - Use dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. The alcohol evaporates by cooking the sauce. If you prefer not to use wine, replace it with 1 cup (250 ml) of stock. Wine is a common ingredient in risotto because it imparts so much flavor. The alcohol in the wine will evaporate as it cooks. But if you don't want to use wine, replace it with the same amount of stock.
- Vegetable stock - Make it of a cube or, even better, use a homemade vegetable broth.
- Parmesan cheese - A delicious salty cheese from the Italian kitchen, which melts wonderfully in and gives the risotto a wonderful taste
- Sun-dried tomato tapenade - The tapenade is one of the flavors of this risotto. It envelops the grains of rice and imparts its flavors. This risotto recipe is made with a tapenade of sun-dried tomatoes. But a basil pesto, black olive tapenade, or truffle tapenade are also delicious.
- Parsley - Fresh green herb that will give extra flavor to the risotto
- Pine nuts - Use toasted pine nuts for a delicious touch of nut.
How to prepare this creamy vegetarian risotto?
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog. An easy recipe for mushroom risotto because in this recipe, you only need to stir occasionally.
- Start by frying the mushrooms with garlic and thyme until golden brown. Set it aside.
- Fry the onion, garlic, and risotto rice for two minutes (keep stirring). Fry the rice because this gives the rice a roasted nutty taste.
- Pour in the white wine.
- And the stock ladle by ladle. Then, when you have added the new liquid, stir well and let it cook until the stock is creamy.
- Put the fried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, tapenade, and some extra butter into the pan.
- Mix through the risotto. Let it stand for another two minutes. Serve right away.
Serving tip: sprinkle with parsley, pine nuts, and extra Parmesan cheese
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- frying pan
- Chef's knife
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic squeezed
- 1 ¼ pound mushrooms cleaned (look at the tips) and cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme dried
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 shallots sliced finely
- 2 cloves garlic squeezed
- ¾ pound Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio
- 4 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato tapenade
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ oz. Parsley chopped finely
- 1 oz. Pine nuts roasted
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese grated
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Melt the butter in the frying pan over medium heat and fry the garlic for half a minute.1 tablespoon butter, 2 cloves garlic
- Add part of the mushrooms and the thyme and fry until golden brown.1 ¼ pound mushrooms, 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan with a slotted spoon and then fry another portion of mushrooms until golden brown.
- Repeat until all mushrooms are cooked. Set them aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan and fry the shallot for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.2 tablespoons butter, 3 shallots, 2 cloves garlic
- Shake the rice into the pan and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes.¾ pound Arborio rice
- Pour the white wine into the pan and stir everything well.1 cup dry white wine
- Spoon in the vegetable stock ladle by ladle. Add new stock each time the previous stock has been absorbed. Then stir the risotto well. This will take approximately 15 minutes. Taste to see if the risotto is cooked (it may still have a slight bite).4 ½ cups vegetable stock
- Spoon the fried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, tapenade, and extra butter through the risotto. If it is too dry, add some additional stock.4 oz. Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato tapenade, 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat until hot and turn off the heat. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Stir everything well and spoon onto plates.
- Sprinkle parsley, toasted pine nuts, and lots of Parmesan cheese over the risotto. Serve right away.½ oz. Parsley, 1 oz. Pine nuts, 2 oz. Parmesan cheese