Crispy, tender and full of flavor that describes these Airfryer garlic shrimp, also called popcorn shrimp, the best. I served it with a homemade creamy lemon aioli dip. It’s an easy recipe and it’s ready in just 10 minutes (including making the sauce!). You can make them in advance so you only have to heat them in the air fryer again for a few minutes and serve them! A crowd pleaser for sure!
Do you love popcorn shrimp? It’s finger food at its best! Serve a bowl of these delicious crispy shrimp, together with a dipping sauce and you know it’s gone in a few minutes.
But that’s not a problem. These snacks are so easy to prepare. You made them in just 10 minutes. And to make it even better, you can make them in advance. That way you’ll only have to bake them! It’s a win-win.
And if you’re looking for more warm appetizers? I can recommend grilled asparagus with Boursin and Prosciutto, Puff pastry bites with bacon, and Port wine, and Goat cheese appetizers with apricots.
Why is this snack called popcorn shrimp?
It doesn’t even have any corn in it? Because when you use the smallest size of shrimp you can take a handful of these appetizers, just like you would do with a bowl of popcorn. In the US it’s a snack you can get at a fast-food restaurant, but you can easily prepare them at home.
Because we’re going to prepare them in the air fryer, I’m using a medium-size shrimp. That way it won’t be dry afterward.
Ingredients of garlic shrimp with aioli dip
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
Which shrimps do you use for this recipe?
Use small or medium-sized shrimp. I used medium-sized shrimp because the air fryer tends to make them a bit drier. Devine them before using them. And make sure they don’t have heads and tails.
Why do you use panko?
Panko crumbs are Japanese breadcrumbs. It’s made of bread and it’s crunchier and airier compared to normal breadcrumbs. You can substitute it with normal breadcrumbs.
Preparation of popcorn shrimp in the Airfryer (with dip)
You can find a recipe that you can easily print at the bottom of this blog.
This is an easy recipe, for you only need to cover the shrimp with breadcrumbs and then bake them in the air fryer. Therefore the preparation time (including baking) is 10 minutes.
- Baking in the Airfryer - Bake the popcorn shrimp in the airfryer for 5 minutes at 390 °F (200 °C).
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Airfryer garlic shrimp (popcorn shrimp) with lemon aioli dip
Lemon Aioli dip
- ½ teaspoon lemon grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil extra vierge
Airfryer garlic shrimp
- 12 ounces shrimp large or medium, peeled and deveined
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg size M
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Lemon aioli dip
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients and whisk well. Store in the refrigerator until use.½ cup mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon lemon, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons olive oil
Airfryer garlic shrimp
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and add some flour to it. Toss the shrimp until they’re evenly coated. Remove excess flour.12 ounces shrimp, 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a second bowl beat the egg.1 egg
- Take a third bowl and mix the panko with paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ground pepper.1 cup panko bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon paprika powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put the bowls in front of you. Take a shrimp and dip in the egg, then toss in the panko mixture. Press slightly. Put on a plate and repeat for the other shrimp.
- Bake in the air fryer at 390 °F (400 °C) for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with the lemon aioli dip.
I love that this delicious air fryer shrimp is served with aioli. Huge fan of this dish. Will be making it again!
I can see these shrimps disappear immediately. Such an amazing recipe.
Our popcorn shrimp turned out amazing, better than anything I have ever had in a restaurant, and it was so easy! I can't wait to make it again, but I will have to double it next time because it didn't last long!
Yet another reason to buy an airfryer. I must be the only one without right now. This is one of my favourite appetizers and I'd love to be able to make them without frying them.
Amanda Dixon says
This is a great way to cook shrimp! They came out so crispy, and the aioli was delicious.
I know, I know. They all disappeared in a wink 😉
Thank you Jeri!
An airfryer is great. I can't do without anymore.
Great to hear Amanda!