Do you also love apple turnovers? This skinny version combines the delicious flavor with less calories. Something we all love don't we? Therefor a great fall recipe!
It’s foodblogswap time again and this time I was allowed to cook from Pauline from Piens kitchen(Dutch blog). Pien’s kitchen cooks without packages and sachets and refined sugars. And I think it’s always nice to have a look around on someone else’s blog and see the great things they’ve come up with. And then I came across this recipe for apple turnovers baked in the oven. Because you don’t use puff pastry and sugar on the puff pastry, this is a skinny variant of the traditional apple turnovers. One with a crispy bite though through the use of the filo pastry. And in the fall this is such a typical recipe that is always received here with a lot of cheers.
When I read the recipe I decided to go for honey, a warm sweetener that fits the apple. I used extra apple because I like a lot of filling. And with the addition of some walnuts, the taste became even fuller.
After the apple turners were baked in the oven, of course there had to be a tasting session. No problem for us and the only thing we found unfortunate? That there was only one for everyone. Well, you have to leave something to be desired for future use.
This apple turnover rolls the same way you would do with a lumpia. You put the filo pastry in a rhombus in front of you. Lay down some of the apple mixture on the bottom and roll once so the apple is covered. Fold the sides inwards and then roll further. Grease the last tip with some oil to make everything stick. To make it simple, I made a film of rolling lumpia’s that you can use for this. You can find it here.
It's a good taste!
Did you make this skinny apple turnovers? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Skinny apple turnovers
- 2 apples peeled, take the core out.
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons walnuts coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon gingerbread spices
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 sheets filo dough thawed
- 2 tablespoons oil
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (convection, when you use a conventional oven preheat to 200 degrees Celsius).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Soak the raisins in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Remove and dry the raisins.
- Grate the apple and put in a bowl.
- Add the raisins, walnuts, biscuits and honey with the apple and mix well.
- Put the filo pastry in a rhombus in front of you.
- Scoop ¼ of the apple mixture on the bottom part and roll once so that the apple is covered.
- Fold the sides towards the insight and roll the apple turnover further until you have a small tip.
- Smear some oil on the tip and roll further. If you want to see this roll up on video, you can find the link under the text "roll apple turnovers" above.
- Put the apple turnover on the baking sheet
- Repeat for all sheets of filo pastry.
- Brush all apple turnovers with oil and slide the baking sheet into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve when they are still warm.
Leave a Reply