Making tasty and traditional Appelbeignets (apple fritters or Dutch apple doughnuts) yourself is super easy to do. The juicy, fresh-sweet apple is covered with a crispy dough. And dusted with cinnamon sugar. A delicious warm snack that is really tasty and served on New Year's Eve.
Do you remember apple fritters? That is really an Old Dutch snack that is mainly eaten in the North and East of the Netherlands on New Year's Eve. I remember it from the past, where there was always a bowl on the table on that day.
Delicious warm apple covered with a crunchy batter. Just something different (and certainly as tasty) as the oliebollen. So I revived an old tradition and started making them again. And it's really very easy to do.
First, make a batter, dip the apples in it and fry them in hot oil. Sprinkle with some sugar and you're done.
Ingredients for Dutch Apple beignets
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
- Self-rising flour - This ensures that the dough around the apple becomes airy during baking. You can substitute it with 1 cup of flour and ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- Apples - The apples are peeled and the core is drilled out. Then cut them into slices. Suitable apples for apple fritters are Elstar, Jonagold, or Cox. It is better not to use a golden reinnette, pippin (or any other stewing apple). The texture is less tasty after baking.
Preparation of old-fashioned delicious apple fritter
A recipe that you can easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
- Peel the apples and remove the core. Cut into slices about ¼ inch (½ cm) thick.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and place in a bowl. Dip the apple on both sides in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Make a batter by mixing the self-rising flour, egg and milk until smooth.
- Dip the sugared apples into the batter and fry the apples in oil at 350 °F (180°C) for 2 minutes until golden brown. Let them drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar and serve.
Apple turnovers are made from cubes of apples that are folded in puff pastry to form a triangle. They are baked in the oven. An apple fritter is a slice of apple that is passed through a batter and then deep-fried.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Traditional Appelbeignets (Dutch Apple Doughnuts)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 egg size L
- ⅔ cups milk
- 3 apples Elstar, Jonagold or Cox
- 1 gallon Sunflower oil
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Put in a bowl.¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the deep fryer to 350 °F / 180 °C.1 gallon Sunflower oil
- Make the batter by mixing the self-rising flour, egg and milk until smooth.1 cup self-rising flour, 1 egg, ⅔ cups milk
- Peel the apples and remove the core with an apple corer.3 apples
- Cut the apples into slices (horizontal) of ¼ inch (½ cm) thickness.
- Dip each apple slice in the batter and immediately lower into the hot oil.
- Bake for 2 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (or powdered sugar) and serve.
The apples are peeled, and the core is drilled out. Then cut them into slices. Suitable apples for apple fritters are Elstar, Jonagold or Cox. It is better not to use a Golden Reinette or Pipin (stewing apples). The texture is less tasty after baking. 3. Storage-
- Room temperature - Store the oliebollen at room temperature in a draft-free place. The next day (New Year's Day) you can heat them up in the oven (10 mins at 300 °F / 150 °C) or in the Air fryer (3 minutes at 350 °F / 180 °C) until they have the right temperature and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Really delicious.
- Freezing - The oliebollen can also be frozen. Let them cool and pack them airtight and freeze them. This way they can be stored for 2 months. Let them thaw at room temperature and heat them for (10 mins at 300 °F / 150 °C) in the oven (3 minutes at 350 °F / 180 °C) in the Air fryer. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.