A delicious crunchy bread without sugar. It’s easy to make (you do not even have to knead and rise the dough).
A delicious soda bread with cranberries and rosemary. Very easy to make, because you don't have to knead it. And in this case you won't use yeast, but baking soda to let the bread rise. What you get is a very tasty, but also airy bread. That really excels when it is still warm and it only needs a little butter and nothing else. The cranberries give a lot of sweetness to the bread and the rosemary has a nice aftertaste.
- baking soda can be bought cheaply at the Toko (Chinese supermarket) under the name baking soda. It is also sold under the name sodium bicarbonate and is now available at the supermarket.
- to make baking soda "work" you need an acid. In this recipe that is buttermilk, but yogurt is also used often. If you don't have either of this at home, you can use a teaspoon of vinegar per 250 ml of milk instead. That also works very well.
- Soda bread has one small disadvantage, you can't store it. So you'll have to prepare it and immediately eat. You can possibly heat it a little in the oven, but this is really the best when it is just baked.
- if you want a sugar-free bread, then don't use the sugar. This recipe goes great without it.
Recipe Soda bread with cranberries
Soda bread with cranberries
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 450 grams flour and some extra for dusting your workspace
- 2 tablespoons sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams dried cranberries
- 4 sprigs rosemary fresh, chopped finely or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 350 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius
- Line a baking plate with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in the cranberries and rosemary and make a hole in the center.
- Add the buttermilk and while you use a large spoon, mix everything quickly and carefully together to get a nice dough. (if necessary, add an extra dash of buttermilk until the dough is sticky.)
- Knead the dough lightly and flour the surface.
- Form the dough in a round bread of about 15 cm diameter.
- Put the breadon the baking sheet and with a sharp knife make a cross in the dough.
- Put the bread in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200 degrees Celsius and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Check whether the bread is sufficiently cooked by tapping on the bottom, it should sound hollow, otherwise you extend the baking time by 2-3 minutes.