A moist and airy healthy sweet breakfast cake. The crumb is soft and tender. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. And made without refined sugars and whole wheat flour to make it healthier. A creamy cake with a delicious taste that you will enjoy!
Healthy Sweet Breakfast Cake
Do you love Dutch Peperkoek? I like to bake it for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Because it is such a super easy recipe, and you can vary with it. I already have a traditional kruidkoek recipe and a traditional peperkoek cake on my blog.
And I couldn't resist experimenting with it further. And so that became this variant. Without refined sugar and with whole wheat flour. Healthier and just as tasty! Try it yourself.
What do you need for a healthy Breakfast cake?
To prepare this sweet breakfast cake, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Whole wheat flour - Unlike wheat flour, whole wheat flour contains all parts of the grain. And therefore, it has more fiber.
- Baking powder - Ensures that the gingerbread rises and becomes airy.
- Salt - Adding a small pinch of salt gives the breakfast cake more flavor.
- Milk - This makes the breakfast cake creamy. If you want to go for lactose-free, use soy milk.
- Apple butter - Use pure apple butter (without added sugar) to bake a spice cake without sugar.
- Honey - Made naturally by bees and therefore not refined.
- Egg - For binding the peperkoek breakfast cake. It also provides a creamy taste.
- Speculaas mix spices - Also available as gingerbread spices or pumpkin spices. The composition may vary, but the base is always cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Replace the biscuit spices with one teaspoon cinnamon, one teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon cloves. With this, you can make delicious, healthy gingerbread.
How to prepare Peperkoek Breakfast Cake?
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Heat the milk until hot, and add the apple butter and honey. Stir and turn off the stove.
- Mix the egg with the spices. Then add the milk mixture. When everything is well mixed, add the whole wheat flour, salt, and baking powder and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C) for 70 minutes. By lining the cake tin with baking paper, you can better take the cake out of the container after baking.
- Check whether the sweet breakfast cake is done. You check whether a cake is done by inserting a skewer into the thickest part (often the middle). If it comes out dry, the cake is ready. Next, remove the peperkoek from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. This causes the sweet bread to shrink slightly, making it easier to separate from the baking pan. Next, remove the healthy gingerbread from the mold and let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Healthy Sweet Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅙ teaspoons salt
- ⅞ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 egg size L
- 2 tablespoons speculaas spice mix
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Line a baking tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, whisk whole wheat flour with baking powder and salt.2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ⅙ teaspoons salt
- Heat the milk in a saucepan. When it almost boils, you'll notice some steam above the pan; add the apple butter and honey.⅞ cups milk, 2 tablespoons apple butter, ⅓ cup honey
- Stir well and turn off the heat.
- Mix the egg with speculaas mix spices in a bowl at high speed for 1 minute.1 egg, 2 tablespoons speculaas spice mix
- Turn the speed to low and pour the hot milk mixture slowly into the saucepan while mixing.
- Add the whole wheat mixture, spoon by spoon, to the batter while you mix at low speed. Turn the mixer off when the wheat is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the tin and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 70 minutes until brown.
- Check with a wooden satay pricker if the sweet breakfast cake is done (see TIPS).
- Take the cake from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take the cake from the tin and let it cool down on a wire rack to room temperature.
- You can fill this peperkoek with raisins and walnuts. Then use 3 oz. (80 grams) of raisins and 2 oz. (60 grams) of walnuts (finely chopped). Mix the raisins into the batter. And after you have poured the batter into the cake tin, divide the walnuts over the gingerbread.
- Replace the speculaas mix spices with one teaspoon cinnamon, one teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon cloves. With this, you can make delicious, healthy gingerbread.
- Room Temperature - Wrap your healthy sweet breakfast cake in aluminum foil and store it at room temperature. That way, it stays good for a week.
- Refrigerator - You can't keep this healthy gingerbread in the fridge because of the moisture; the structure will change.
- Freezer - You can freeze the peperkoek. Wrap it in foil and then in a freezer bag or container. This way, it stays good for three months. TIP, cut the cake into slices, so you can thaw the cake per portion. Thaw the cake at room temperature.
Leave a Reply