A crispy appetizer filled with spinach, pine nuts, raisins and feta cheese, which melts delicious in the oven. Great with a yoghurt dip
Spinach contains iron, or is that a myth? If you used to watch Popeye, you'd think it would, anyway. Because, according to Popeye, the spinach gives iron muscles and you will get strong. But did you know that Popeye eating spinach was actually a publicity stunt by the U.S. government. Popeye was popular at the time around the Second World War. Because the government didn't know how long the war would last and because of possible shortages of meat they wanted to persuade the population to eat something else: spinach. And it helped. There was an increase of 30 % more spinach that was eaten in comparison with earlier years.
Why is spinach so
Spinach, by the way, contains Iron, more than the average compared to any other vegetables, but much less than is often thought. And iron is an element that we need in our diet. So it's a wise idea to eat spinach now and then. And so today a delicious spinach filo dough snack, with a delicious taste and with iron!
It's a good taste!
Recipe: Spinach feta
Spinach feta appetizer
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- ½ shallot chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 150 grams spinach chopped
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 5 sheets phyllo dough
- sunflower oil for frying
- Put the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Put a pan on the stove and bake the shallots in a little oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts and roast another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the spinach and add it with adherent water to the pan.
- Let the spinach shrink and remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mash the feta cheese in a small bowl.
- Add the egg, the drained raisins and spinach mixture and mix well.
- Then add the breadcrumbs and mix a last time.
- Take a sheet of filo pastry and cut it into three.
- Lay a strip for you and spoon 2 teaspoons spinach in a corner.
- Fold the dough inward so you get a triangle.
- Fold up (a new triangle), and so on until your filling is completely wrapped in phyllo dough and you're having a triangle in front of you.
- Glue the last bit of phyllo dough together with some water .
- Fry the spinach snack at 180 degrees Celsius for 3 minutes in a deep fryer or you can fry the snacks in a pan with a layer of heated sunflower oil. (Bake the appetizers in that case 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.)
- Allow to drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.