Thanksgiving and turkey are tradition. But what if you are just with a few people. Then this turkey Vitello tonnato is a delicious alternative to a whole turkey.
At Thanksgiving tradition is to eat Turkey. But we are with only five in our house. And a whole turkey is just to big. So I made Turkey breast with a tuna sauce. Such a delicious recipe. It doesn't have to be Thanksgiving to enjoy this dish. I could eat it every week for that sake (and maybe I will).
The turkey is poached instead of grilled in wine with vegetables. Therefor it gets great flavor. The tuna sauce is spiced up by using capers and anchovies. It is served cold.
💭 Top tips
- when you made a whole turkey but got some leftovers, this dish is great for them. Poach the leftover turkey in the water and it will become moist. You can also serve the turkey cold.
- You poach the turkey so it stays moist. Make sure it's done before serving, you don't want food poisoning. You could use a meat thermometer to check the core temperature. It should be 162 degrees Fahrenheit (72 degrees Celsius).
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to looking it up. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. Don't forget to save my recipes on Pinterest so you can find them easily next time. See you soon!
Turkey breast with tuna sauce
- 4 turkey breast
- 400 mL white wine dry
- 2 carrots peeled and cut in three
- 2 stalks celery cleaned and cut in three
- 1 onion peeled and cut in 4 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 100 grams tuna canned
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 anchovies
- 3 twigs chives sliced in small pieces
- Put the turkey breast in a stewing pan.
- Pour the wine in the pan.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper, at taste, on top.
- Add water until the meat and veggies are under water level.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and turn the heat low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the breast are done.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce by putting mayonnaise, tuna, capers and anchovies in a blender.
- Pulse until you've got a smooth sauce.
- Add the chives and mix with a spoon.
- Slice the turkeys thin and spread them on the plates.
- Drip the tuna sauce on top.
- Optional: garnish with arugula, lettuce or capers