Cranberry's are definitely linked to Winter. Today a delicious cranberry cake which is easy to bake that can be served when someone comes for a visit!
Fresh cranberries are only available in the Netherlands for just a very short period in the year and then I use them very often. And although they are sour that can give just a very special combination when using when you're sweet baking
- You soak dried cranberries for 10 minutes before adding them to the batter, they do not burn and are very juicy. That makes the cake extra yummy. You can also use fresh cranberries when in season.
- You use baking soda to get your cake airy. Baking soda reacts with acid (hence the addition of lemon juice and sour cream in this recipe).
- You use sour cream, you will add less butter.
- You use all ingredients to room temperature, the cake becomes more airy.
- Every oven is different, check if the cake is done by punching a satay stick in the thickest part of the cake. When it comes out dry, the cake is ready and you can take it out of the oven. Otherwise you bake for another 5 minutes and you repeat the previous steps again.
- You want to take the cake whole out of the tin, make sure the tin is well greased with butter (especially in the seams and corners). Then you scoop 2 tablespoons of flour in the tin. Shake so all the flour will stick around all edges. Because you do not want flour patches on your cake, turn the tin over and knock out the excess flour.
- To simply unload the cake first you let it rest for 5 minutes to adjust to room temperature. Then you can simply remove the cake from the mold.
- you can add ginger bread spices (1 teaspoon for this recipe) for even more flavor. Or add 50 grams walnuts or chocolate chips (or both).
- substitute the vanilla extract with vanilla sugar
- This cake is, of course, very delicious with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Serve this cake with some whipped cream
- Also very delicious to drink with this cake is a cup of chocolate milk, like this hot white chocolate milk
- Wrap the cake in aluminium foil. You can store it 3 days at room temperature.
- You can freeze the cake. First wrap it in aluminium foil and afterwards in a plastic bag. You can store the cake for 3 months.
- Don't store this cake in the refrigerator.
- blueberry cake, delicious with fresh blueberries
- chocolate vanilla marble cake, not only an easy recipe but very beautiful
- raspberry chocolate cake, delicious until the last bite
- lactose free carrot cake, if you want or need to bake lactose free
It's a good taste!
- 250 grams flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 180 mL sour cream
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 90 grams butter room temperature
- 250 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs size L
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 60 grams cranberries dried
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the dried cranberries for 10 minutes in hot water.
- Butter the cake tin and flour it.
- In the first bowl add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a second bowl add the butter and sugar. Mix on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs 1 by 1, until they are incorporated.
- Then pour in the vanilla, sour cream and lemon juice.
- Mix well until everything is combined.
- Adjust the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients.
- Stop mixing when they are incorporated.
- Mix with a spatula the cranberries through the batter and pour the batter in the cake tin.
- Bake for about 60 to 70 minutes in the oven until the cake is done.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.