A delicious broccoli frittata with Mozzarella and fresh herbs. A delicious vegetarian casserole with crispy vegetables. Great for a lunch with friends.
Sometimes you go for a delicious lunch with a friend. Or you want to enjoy a delicious lunch with your partner. Homemade and not in a restaurant. And what do you serve?
How about this broccoli frittata with Mozzarella. Baking it in the oven gives the frittata a delicious taste. Serve this vegetarian top recipe with a delicious salad and a fresh, crusty warm French baguette. And I'm sure everyone will love your lunch.
Of course, this simple recipe has been extensively tested and you can be sure that it's foolproof. I would say: It's good to taste! Have lots of fun!
What's the difference between an quiche and a frittata?
A quiche is made by filling a savory quiche dough (or puff pastry dough) with savory ingredients.
On the other hand, a frittata is crustless. It looks more like an omelet (but then without the folding), which in this recipe is made in the oven.
Therefore it's an ideal recipe if you want to eat gluten-free or low carb.
What to do with left overs?
You don't have to throw it away, for sure. You can store it and eat it reheated or cold. But always make sure, whichever way you choose to store your leftovers, to make sure you cool down your frittata quick and put it in an airtight container or bag.
You can store the frittata for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the leftover frittata for up to 2 months. You just have to thaw it and eat it. By using these storage techniques you can also prepare this frittata in advance so you'll only have to warm it before serving lunch.
Tip If you don't want to eat the same frittata twice in a row, you can also chop it finely and mix it with mayonaise (and curry) to get a delicious egg salad which you can eat on a sandwich.
How do you prepare this broccoli frittata with Mozzarella?
A printable recipe can be found on the bottom of this blog post.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and brush a casserole with oil. Cut the broccoli in florets and cook for 5 minutes. Peel the stem and grate the broccoli.
Step 2: Bake the onion until it's translucent and add the garlic. Stir-fry the garlic short. Add the broccoli florets and grate. Mix half of the Mozzarella cubes through the vegetable mix. Turn off the heat.
Step 3: Mix the eggs through the vegetable cheese mixture. Also, add the chopped herbs. Flavor with salt and pepper and put everything in the casserole dish.
Step 4: Spread the rest of the Mozzarella on top of the frittata and put the casserole in the oven. Bake 30 minutes in the oven. Serve with a freshly baked baguette, salad, or creamy pasta.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- A conventional oven is used. When using a convection oven (with air fan) decrease the temperature with 30 °F / 20 °C
- Oven dish 6 x 10 inches
- frying pan
- 1 pound broccoli Slice the florets of the broccoli and grate the stem (coarse)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 4½ oz. mozzarella in small cubes
- 3 sprigs dried thyme fresh, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
- 2 sprigs rosemary needles, finely chopped
- 5 eggs size m
- salt and pepper at taste
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °Fahrenheit (180 °C).
- Grease a small baking dish.
Broccoli frittata with Mozzarella
- Bring a pan with water to a boil and add the broccoli florets.1 pound broccoli
- Cook for 5 minutes or until broccoli is al dente.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes until it looks translucent ( not brown ), add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 onion, 1 clove garlic
- Stir in the broccoli, grated broccoli, thyme, rosemary, and half the mozzarella cubes and mix.4½ oz. mozzarella, 3 sprigs dried thyme, 2 sprigs rosemary
- Break the eggs on top and mix with the broccoli mixture.5 eggs
- Season with salt and pepper and put everything into a baking dish.salt and pepper
- Sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella and place in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Buffalo mozzarella is the best. If you can't gain it, you can also use regular mozzarella (from cow's milk). Do you want a stronger cheese taste? Replace the Mozzarella with Cheddar cheese. 3.- Lactose-free
Replace the Mozzarella with vegan Mozzarella (now widely available in the supermarket) for a lactose-free frittata. 4. - Baking dish size
I used a 6 x 10-inch baking dish. But is your baking dish just a little bigger or smaller? That is not a problem at all. With a larger baking dish, your frittata will be a bit thinner. Make sure to shorten the oven time by a few minutes. Do you have a smaller baking dish? Then use four eggs. And bake the frittata in the oven for the same amount of time.
Or you adjust the ingredients in the recipe. You can do that easily at the top of this recipe card. 5. - Storage
You can still keep frittata and reheat or eat it cold. Always make sure that you cool the frittata quickly and then pack it airtight.
- Refrigerator - Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Freezer - Freeze the frittata for up to 2 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator and then eat. You can also heat it for another 10 minutes at 320 °F. This way you can make this frittata in advance.
The nutritional values are shown per person.