A Homemade Tomato Soup with fresh tomatoes for some extra flavor... this easy recipe is my version of this tasty soup. A healthy soup with very few calories (less than 150!), which is very, very, very delicious!
Do you also like tomato soup? For me one of the best lunch recipes I can think of. Or as an entrée for dinner. I already got several great recipes on my site: Italian tomato soup with mascarpone, Chinese tomato soup and a creamy tomato soup with meatballs.
But this homemade tomato soup that you make with fresh tomatoes gives a nice firm and pure soup, that wasn't listed yet. You don't use stock for this soup, but the tomatoes and some simple herbs give it that great flavor.
Do tomatoes need to be peeled?
Normally I don't peel my tomatoes when preparing tomato soup. When you puree them finely, that won't be a problem (you don't even notice it). But in this particular soup it's recommended to peel the tomatoes, because you don't add stock. And by peeling the fresh tomatoes and then sieve the soup, it becomes velvety soft.
- Tomatoes - This is a pure recipe because you only use tomatoes and some herbs. So go for the best tomatoes you can get, such as Roma tomatoes, Brandywine, or heirloom tomatoes.
- Margarine - In the plant-based margarine (vegan) you smother the onion and tomatoes, which will become nice and creamy. By using plant-based margarine you make this a vegan tomato soup.
- Onion, salt, and pepper - Add extra flavor to the soup. Because no stock is used, you definitely need them!
- Basil - Basil and tomatoes is a well-known combination and when you have tasted this fresh tomato soup you will know why it is so good!
- Olive Oil - Olive oil is a great flavor determiner in this dish. Use a delicious fruity extra virgin olive oil.
Step 1 - Peel the tomatoes
- Bring a pan with 4 inches (10 cm) of water to a boil. Cut a cross in the skin at the bottom of the tomato with a sharp knife.
- Immerse the tomatoes in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Then put the tomato in a bowl with ice water (water with ice cubes). Leave in it for at least 15 seconds.
- Now you can easily remove the skin.
Step 2 - Stew the onion and tomatoes
- Cut the tomato into quarters and remove the seeds as much as possible. Now slice the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Melt the margarine in the pan.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions. Stew the onions for five minutes.
- Add the tomato cubes and simmer for 30 minutes on low heat. Stir the vegetables every now and then.
Step 3 - Season with basil
- Finely chop the basil.
- Add the basil to the vegan tomato soup and stir well. Turn off the heat now. Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or blender) until smooth.
Step 4 - Sieve the vegan tomato soup
- Put the pureed tomato soup in a fine sieve and push the tomato pulp through the sieve with a spoon.
- Heat the pan until the soup is hot, but not boiling yet (there will be some steam above the pan). Pour the soup into the bowls and garnish it with olive oil and basil strips.
My tomato soup tastes sour. What to do?
Sometimes tomatoes are sourer than you expected. What to do? There are two ways to make tomato soup less acidic. First, you can add half a teaspoon of sugar to offset the sour taste and bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes.
But if you want a fresh tomato soup without sugar, you can also add ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Baking soda neutralizes the acid. And that ensures that your soup becomes less acidic.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- immersion hand blender
- Fine sieve
- 9 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon margarine plant-based
- 1 onion
- 5 leaves basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil garnish, extra virgin
- 3 basil leaves
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Slice the onion finely.
- Bring a pan with water (4 inches / 10 cm) to a boil.
- Fill a bowl with ice water.
Peel the tomatoes.
- Cut a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes with a sharp knife.
- Immerse the tomatoes in boiling water for 15 seconds.
- Take the tomatoes out of the water with a slotted spoon and put them in the bowl with ice water. Immerse them for 15 seconds.
- Peel the tomatoes.
Vegan tomato soup
- Deseed the tomatoes and chop them into very small pieces.
- Melt the margarine in a small pan on low heat.
- Add the onion and cook, while stirring, for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and glazed but hasn't browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on low heat, for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes fall apart and become liquid, while stirring occasionally. Leave the lid half on the pan during that time.
- Chop the basil leaves and add to the tomatoes.
- Get the pan off the heat and blend with an immersion blender (or into a blender) until it's smooth.
- Push the sieved vegan tomato soup through a fine sieve in a second bowl with a spoon.
- Pour everything back in the pan and reheat it until it's hot, but not boiling.
- Serve the soup in tea cups and garnish with basil leaves.
- Sprinkle some olive oil on top.
You can also freeze the soup in an airtight freezer container for one month. Let it thaw in the refrigerator. When heating the soup, make sure you make it very hot, but don't let it come to a boil. 4. Nutrition - This is a soup that you can serve as 4 small starters (coffee cup size). The nutritional values are per cup.