The BEST and most delicious spider cupcakes with licorice legs for Halloween. The cupcakes are moist, tender, and got a vanilla flavor. Bake them and make the spider topping really easy. A delicious treat for Halloween.
Sunday is my baking day! And today a spooky treat. I saw this idea come along to the website taste of home and this is my own spider cupcake variant. After tasting I found them great and the children were flabbergasted. So they were successful! The recipe is very simple, quick, and got great effect! We surely make them for our Halloween party.
- Butter, sugar, self-rising flour, and eggs - Basic ingredients of any Vanilla (cup)cake
- Nutella - a creamy pasta of chocolate and hazelnuts, which you can smear easily when used at room temperature. You can substitute it with chocolate paste.
- Chocolate sprinkles - milk or dark chocolate, whatever you like most. Sprinkle them on top of the Nutella and press them slightly.
- M&M's - I just love M&M's and in these baked goods you use them as the eyes. I only took the color green and red from the bag because I thought it had a great effect. But you can use any color you like.
- Black licorice lace - You can use them as spider legs. You can substitute them with strawberry lace if you like that better.
Step 1 - Prepare the cupcake batter
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F or 180 °C. Put the paper cupcake forms into the baking tin.
- Mix the butter with the sugar at high speed for three minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs. Add the next egg when the previous one is fully incorporated. Mix for two more minutes.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and add half of the self-rising flour. Then pour in the milk and add the remaining flour. Stop mixing when the flour is just incorporated.
Step 2 - fill the forms. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop and divide the batter. Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 20 minutes. And for a nice touch use dark paper cups.
Step 3 - Check if the cupcakes are done and let them cool down
- Check if the cakes are done by pricking a satay pricker into the middle of a cupcake. And when it comes out clean and dry, the cakes are done.
- Let them stand for five minutes and take them out of the tin. Cool them to room temperature on a rack (make sure to cool them otherwise the Nutella will drip off).
Step 4 - Decorate the cupcakes
- Smear the top of the cupcakes with Nutella.
- Spread the chocolate sprinkles on top. Push it slightly so they'll stick better.
- Take a satay pricker and make some holes in the cupcake. Slice a bit of licorice lace (about 1 ½ inch, three cm) and put it into the hole. Then repeat this on each side four times.
- Take two M&M's and put a bit of Nutella on the side with an M. Press it on the chocolate sprinkles so it will stick. And now your spider cupcakes are done!
Other Delicious Recipes
If you like these spider cupcakes for Halloween, you also might like these recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1 stick butter unsalted, room temperature
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs size L
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons Nutella
- 4 tablespoons Chocolate sprinkles
- 12 M & M's green and red for a spooky effect
- 6 licorice laces
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Put the paper cupcake forms in the baking pan.
- Mix the butter with the sugar in three minutes until airy at high speed.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs one by one, while continuing to mix. Add the next egg when the previous one is fully incorporated.
- Mix for two minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add half of the flour, then two tablespoons of milk followed by the rest of the flour. Turn the mixer off, when the flour is incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups (fill the cups about ⅔) and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check with a satay pricker if the cakes are done.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Coat the top of the cupcake with a layer of Nutella.
- Spread the sprinkles on top.
- Cut the licorice laces into small pieces of about 1 ½ inch (three cm) (you need eight pieces per cupcake).
- Insert a skewer to make eight holes for the legs in the cupcake and put a licorice lace in each hole.
- Smear a bit of Nutella on the M & M (on the side with the white letter) and "glue" it on the cupcake.
- The cupcakes can be stored, undecorated, for up to two days at room temperature. Store them in an airtight container.
- You can freeze undecorated cupcakes. Wrap them airtight and store them in a box. This way they can be stored up to one month.
- When the cupcakes are decorated you have to eat them the same day.