This vegetarian raclette recipe of Eggplant with Mozzarella is a party of great flavors on your plate. The roasted vegetable slices with pesto, creamy Mozzarella, and delicious herbs are a delightful taste combination that you can't get enough of. So for the vegetarian or as a change of appetite, this tasty gourmet snack.
Vegetarian Raclette Recipe
As a vegetarian, there is often less choice at a raclette party. Mushrooms, bell peppe,r and onion are often on the table, but to eat that as an entire meal? Surely there must be another way.
And this fun and especially tasty Italian raclette recipe with eggplant, Mozzarella, and pesto is a welcome change from all the meats. Without sacrificing anything in taste. Because even the most inveterate carnivore at our table liked them very much, this makes your next raclette party fun for everyone!
What do you need for Eggplant and Mozzarella Melt?
To prepare this Vegetarian raclette recipe with Eggplant and Mozzarella, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Red pesto - unlike green pesto, red pesto (also known as pesto Rosso) is made with sun-dried tomatoes instead of basil. Other than that, the recipe is the same. The tomatoes give it a slightly sweeter taste. And by using red pesto, you get the idea of making mini vegetable pizzas.
- Eggplant - A neutral-flavored vegetable often used in Mediterranean cuisine, also known as aubergine. Eggplant tends to soften quickly. That's why we salt it first and dab the excess water away. Then we grill this vegetable for a smoky flavor. You can also substitute the eggplant with zucchini.
- Mozzarella - A creamy cheese with a white color that melts well. Ideal for a raclette party. I use buffalo mozzarella for this dish because it is one of the seasonings, and this cheese has just a little more.
- Italian herbs - Dried Italian herbs give a subtle aromatic flavor to these raclette snacks.
- Olive oil - Brush the eggplant with olive oil. Use a fruity extra vierge oil for the best taste.
How to prepare Roasted Eggplant with Mozzarella and Pesto
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Cut the eggplant into thick slices and sprinkle both sides with some salt. Leave for 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. By doing this, the eggplant absorbs less oil and does not become so soggy.
- Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with olive oil and bake in the grill pan (5 minutes on each side). Remove from the pan and cool on kitchen paper (which will absorb some oil) for about 15 minutes.
- Place a slice in front of you and spread the pesto on top. Place a thin slice of Mozzarella on the pesto.
- Cover with a second slice of grilled eggplant, sprinkle with some Italian herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Place on a serving platter and keep covered in the refrigerator until the start of your raclette party.
How to prepare on your raclette evening - Place an eggplant slide in your raclette pan or on the top of the (stone) grill. Fry on both sides until it is hot and the Mozzarella melts. This delicious Italian raclette Recipe is now ready to eat!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Vegetarian Raclette Recipe with Eggplant and Mozzarella
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra vierge
- ½ pound mozzarella
- 4 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Cut the eggplant into 16 slices of about ½ inch (1 cm).2 eggplants
- Sprinkle with salt and leave for 10 minutes.2 tablespoons salt
- Wash and pat dry.
- Brush with a bit of olive oil and bake for 10 minutes in a frying pan.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Remove from the pan and cool on paper towels for 15 minutes.
- Spread a tablespoon of red pesto on one eggplant slice and place a slice of mozzarella on it.8 tablespoons red pesto, ½ pound mozzarella
- Place the second slice of eggplant on top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.4 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Repeat for all the eggplant slices.
- Store the eggplants in the refrigerator until use.
At the raclette
- Bake the eggplant towers on both sides until hot and the mozzarella is molten.
- Refrigerator - Make the eggplant on the day of gourmet cooking and store it covered in the fridge until ready to use.