Apple Pie Granola is a bowl filled with sweetened baked apples with a crunchy homemade granola topping and salted caramel sauce. It’s the perfect fall breakfast. Every bite is a mix of your favorite fall flavors.
And why is this such a perfect breakfast ? You’ll need only simple ingredients, it’s an easy recipe, and the whole house smells terrific. Serve warm for a delicious breakfast that belongs to fall.
Homemade Apple Pie Granola
I love warm breakfasts in fall and winter, especially on cold days. Oats, warm Granola (straight from the oven), you can’t make me happier. But this special treat is even better. It tastes like warm apple pie and is the perfect recipe for apple season. The crunchy granola topping gives it a bite, and the salted caramel sauce lets everything melts in your mouth. And because you bake your own Granola (which is one of my favorite things to bake because it takes so little effort), it is much better than commercial granolas.
And yes, it sounds just as delicious as it tastes. I’ll bet you’re going to make this quite often!
It is again food blog swap time and that means that I can cook again from a blog of another food blogger / food blogger. And this time it became Lis's blog, lislovescooking. A blog with a great many recipes, which she invents from her passion for baking. Many gluten-free recipes, because Lis has discovered that she responds better to that.
What do you need for Cinnamon Apple with homemade Granola recipe?
To prepare this Apple pie Granola, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Granny Smith - this sour apple still has a bite after baking. The fresh and sour flavor combines excellently with the sweet Granola. You could also opt for a Jonagold apple. Don’t use a stew apple because they will fall apart, and you’ll get apple butter instead of pie.
- Flour - Thickens the apple juice, which gives it a creamy flavor.
- Gingerbread spices - these belong in a Dutch apple pie, so why not use them here. You could substitute it with cinnamon.
- Lemon juice - makes sure the apples won’t discolor.
- Apple juice - for stewing (and sweetening) the fresh apples
- Butter - Fry the apples in the butter until they are soft. And use it as a topping to make the Granola crunchy.
- Honey - sweetens the Granola.
- Oats - this grain is the main ingredient of this Granola. When baked, it gets crispy.
- Walnuts - to give the Granola a nutty flavor.
- Cinnamon - a winter spice that is delicious with apples and Granola.
- Raisins - a sweet ingredient to the Granola. Don’t bake them with the Granola because they will burn.
- Brown sugar - Caramelizes when baked in the oven. Brown sugar also gives a bit of a caramel flavor to the topping.
- Salted Caramel Sauce - Fully optional, but I recommend it because it will enhance the flavor of this apple pie granola. And if you don’t have caramel sauce, you also could use maple syrup.
How to prepare this Fresh Cinnamon Apple Granola recipe
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix the apple pieces with lemon juice and flour and bake them on low heat in a skillet with butter for 5 minutes. Add gingerbread spices and apple juice and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mix honey, oil, oatmeal, walnuts, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes at 320 °F (160 °C). Stir and bake for another 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and mix the raisins through the Granola.
- Butter the ramekins and divide the sliced apples. Mix in bowl granola, brown sugar, and extra oats.
- Top the ramekins with the granola mixture. Put ½ tablespoon of butter on top—Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
Serve warm and, entirely optional but highly recommended, drizzle some salted caramel sauce on top.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Homemade Apple Pie Granola
- 4 ramekins or oven dishes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons walnuts chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 Granny Smith peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon gingerbread spices
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 1 cup granola
- ⅓ cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce optional
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 320 °F (160 °C).
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Mix the oil, honey, oats walnuts, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Make sure everything is covered.2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, 1 cup rolled oats, 2 tablespoons walnuts, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Spread on a sheet pan in an even layer and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Mix everything well with a spatula and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Let the Granola cool slightly.
- Allow it to cool before you mix in the raisins. Mix the raisins with this delicious Granola.3 tablespoons raisins
- Mix the apple with the lemon juice and the flour and make sure the apple is well covered with the flour.3 Granny Smith, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Melt butter in the pan.1 tablespoon butter
- Reduce the heat to low and bake the apples for 5 minutes. Stir regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Then add the gingerbread spices and the apple juice and mix everything.½ teaspoon gingerbread spices, ¾ cup apple juice
- Turn to medium heat so that the apple juice comes to a boil, then turn down the heat, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Butter 4 ramekins, so that the apple mixture does not stick.
- Divide the stewed apples over the ramekins.
- Combine oats with Granola and brown sugar.1 cup granola, ¼ cup dark brown sugar, ⅓ cup oatmeal
- Top each ramekin with the granola mixture.
- Put ½ tablespoon of butter on top.2 tablespoons butter
- Put the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Optional (but very tasty): pour some (salted) caramel sauce over the trays.4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce
- Room temperature - In an airtight sealed container, the Granola will keep for up to 2 months.
- Freezer - Although the structure changes slightly, it is possible to store Granola in the freezer. Place the Granola in an airtight box or bag (with as little air as possible) and store it in the freezer for up to three months.