Here’s how you make an ordinary piece of meat into a delicious BBQ Shaslik recipe. Use spices to give the chicken and pork tenderloin flavor and get some extra color by adding onions, zucchini, and bell peppers. Grill on the BBQ until it’s done, and you have a great dinner!
Shashlik (or shashlick)are grilled cubes of meat (like shish kebab) and is of Turkic origin. Shashlik can be translated into English to skewer able.
Traditionally, a shaslik was made with lamb, but times are changing and pork, beef or venison are also commonly used today. But always the meat is cut into cubes and then marinated.
A Shashlick marinates always contain some sour ingredients (like vinegar or wine), herbs, and spices. And sometimes veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions are added for even more flavor.
And because it’s grilled, a shashlik is perfect for your next BBQ!
What do you need for Grilled Tenderloin and Chicken Shashlik?
To prepare this BBQ Shashlik, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Pork tenderloin - is a boneless cut of pork. It’s soft and tender and easy to marinate.
- Chicken breast filet - The second protein part of this recipe. I used chicken breast without bones because it’s so easy to use.
- Garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika powder, olive oil, and shallots - for marinating the meat.
- Red onion - giving flavor to the shashlik
- Red and yellow Bell pepper - sweet and fruity flavor
- Zucchini - takes over the flavor of the marinate.
How to prepare a Summer BBQ Pork and Chicken Shashlik
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Mix garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika powder, olive oil, and sliced shallots in a bowl.
- Divide into two bowls and add chicken cubes to the first bowl and pork tenderloin cubes to the second. Mix.
- Slice the red onion, bell peppers, and zucchini into thick slices/strips that you can prick on a skewer. Keep them about the same size as your meat.
- Put veggies and meat alternately on the skewer. The exact order doesn’t matter. But make sure you don’t push everything together. With some extra space, the vegetables and meat will cook more evenly. Grill the shashlik on the BBQ until done.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
BBQ Shashlik Recipe
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 4 skewers
- 2 cloves garlic squeezed
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound pork tenderloin 1 x 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound chicken breast 1 x 1 inch cubes
- 2 red onions skin removed and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed, sliced into strips
- Stir garlic, shallot, cayenne pepper, paprika powder, and olive oil in a small bowl.2 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper ground, 2 teaspoons paprika powder, 5 tablespoons olive oil, 2 shallots
- Divide the shallot mixture into two large bowls.
- Add to the first bowl the pork tenderloin cubes and mix. To the second bowl, add the chicken cubes. Stir.1 pound pork tenderloin, 1 pound chicken breast
- Cover both bowls and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Take a skewer, prick a yellow bell pepper, chicken, zucchini, pork loin cube, red onion, chicken cube, and red bell pepper, and end with a pork tenderloin cube.2 red onions, 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 zucchini
- Grill on the bbq for 8 minutes (both sides) until the meat is done.
- Refrigerator - Keep the skewers covered unprepared for up to 1 day in the refrigerator. You can store them in the fridge for up to 2 days (cover with plastic wrap).
- Freezer - Make the skewers and wrap in plastic wrap and then in a freezer box. Both prepared and unprepared, they stay good for a month. Let thaw in the refrigerator.