French Red Onion Soup with Cheese toast is one of the best lunchtime soups in the winter. Flavored with three types of caramelized onions, red wine, and sherry. Lightly caramelizing the onions gives them a sweet, intense flavor that is irresistibly delicious. And together with a piece of crusty baguette with cheese au gratin (Gruyère), this is a real comfort soup. Enjoy until the last bite!
Red Onion Soup with Cheese Toast
Are you looking for real comfort food in the form of soup? Then for me, it is a delicious Onion Soup. Sometimes I make it very easy for myself and cook the onion soup with only six ingredients; super delicious! Or I have an onion soup with beer, which also tastes delightful. But if I want a deep, rich onion soup taste, I make this one.
The three types of onion that you lightly caramelize get a delicious sweet taste. The broth combined with red wine and sherry makes it velvety smooth. And if you let the baguette with cheese au gratin after pouring it, all the flavors are absorbed into the bread. Irresistible.
This recipe is slightly adapted from a recipe from Maaike's blog the answer is food.
What do you need for French Red Onion Soup with Sherry?
To prepare this Red Onion Soup with Cheese Toast, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
French Onion Soup
- Red Onion, Shallot, and Yellow Onion - The base of the onion soup. We will slowly fry these three onions so that they caramelize and become sweet.
- Butter and flour - Together, they form a roux that makes the soup lightly thickened. Ensure you fry the flour-butter mixture for at least 2 minutes; otherwise, your soup will have a flour taste.
- Garlic - The garlic gives extra flavor to the soup.
- Sugar - Gives the soup a very light sweetness.
- Vegetable stock - Use vegetable stock as the base for the soup. Made from cubes or delicious homemade vegetable stock. You can also use beef broth if you want.
- Red Wine and Sherry - Give the soup a full, sweet, and sour taste.
Gruyère Cheese Toast Topping
- Baguette - Half-baked or fully baked. Cut into slices; this is placed on top of the soup and then roasted. This allows the baguette to absorb the delicious taste of the red onion soup.
- Gruyère cheese - This full-fat cheese melts well under the grill. It has a hearty taste that this full soup can have very well. It makes this red onion soup extra tasty.
- Parsley - Has a fresh taste and is added after roasting.
How to prepare Onion Soup with Gruyère
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Fry the onions in the butter until translucent and golden brown.
- Add the flour all at once and cook, stirring, for two minutes.
- Add the stock, sugar, and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes. Then pour the sherry into the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Spoon the red onion soup into a bowl and top with one or two slices of baguette. Sprinkle generously with Gruyère cheese. Place under the grill and let the cheese au gratin. Carefully remove from the grill and sprinkle with parsley. Serve right away!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- 1 red onion
- 1 shallot
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 baguette
- 50 gram Gruyère cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Peel the onions and slice them into rings.1 red onion, 1 shallot, 1 onion
- Heat the butter (until it's light brown) and fry the garlic and onions until they are shiny and golden.1 tablespoon butter, 1 clove garlic
- Add the flour and stir until the flour has absorbed the butter.1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Add the sugar, stock, and wine, and let everything come to a boil.2 teaspoons sugar, 500 ml beef stock, 2 tablespoons red wine
- Allow to simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Add the sherry and simmer for another 5 minutes .2 tablespoons sherry
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Put the soup in ovenproof bowls
- Cut the baguette into slices.1 baguette
- Put a spoonful of cheese on each piece of bread, put one or two in each bowl of soup, and melt the cheese under the grill.50 gram Gruyère cheese
- Garnish the bread with parsley.1 tablespoon parsley
- Put the bread in the soup bowl and pour the soup over it.
- Refrigerator - Quickly cool the soup and store it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezer - Quickly chill the soup and store it in a freezer box in the freezer for up to 3 months. When pouring into the freezer box, ensure you leave ¼ inch (½ cm) free from the top. The soup expands in the freezer. Let the soup thaw in the freezer.
- Reheating - Heat the soup over low heat until hot. Place a slice of Gruyère baguette in the soup and grill until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with parsley.