This mustard soup is very delicate. The silty salmon and crispy asparagus are a delicious garnish. This soup is elegant and yet simple to prepare.
Mustard Soup is very easy to make. This mustard soup has the characteristic pungent flavor of mustard, which combined with the silky salmon and crispy asparagus gives a delicious soup. The soup is slightly thickened, making the taste of mustard flavor a bit softer, but you can omit it, by leaving out the butter/flour and take the stock as your base. By using the asparagus it becomes a real spring soup. The asparagus are from my own picking garden. This is only the first year that I was stabbing asparagus ( because they should grow three years before the first harvest) and they are really tasty. Straight from the garden into my soup bowl . You can't get any fresher vegetables.
- Mustard Soup should never boil, otherwise it becomes sour. So that's why you put the heat of on time. If you let it cool you don't cover the whole pan with a lid the soup needs to breath when cooling down. This also helps to prevent it from becoming sour
- You can use all kinds of mustard, but your soup looks extra nice if you use mustard with seeds.
- Bake the flour for 5 minutes in the pan. If you don't do that the soup will taste after flour.
- In spring smoked salmon with green asparagus are a real delicacy. If you want to make this dish in the winter you can use bacon with sliced leek as an alternative filling.
- Use margarine instead of butter and leave out the crème fraîche. This recipe then becomes lactose-free.
- Sprinkle some chives on top. A great flavor with the salty salmon and creamy soup.
- Substitute butter with margarine
- If you store leftover vegetables (like the stem of broccoli, carrot and leek scraps or any other kind of vegetables) in the refrigerator until you’ve got almost a bag. Put them in a large pan and add some herbs, salt and 3 liter water. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 1 hour. Sieve your stock. This way you get a very cheap yet very flavorful vegetable stock. The stock can be used immediately or frozen. You can freeze it up to 2 months.
- Instead of using fresh green asparagus use asparagus from the freezer or canned.
- Instead of using smoked salmon use smoked ham. And asparagus with ham is a great flavor combo (just as asparagus with smoked salmon is).
This budget friendly version will cost about €0.60 per person
- If you don't have added the salmon and asparagus you can let the soup cool down quickly and cover it for 2 days in the refrigerator. If you've added salmon and asparagus you can't store it.
Up to 1 week in advance:
- Make the vegetable stock and freeze it.
Up to 1 day before:
- Make the mustard soup, but do not add the salmon and asparagus. These ingredients will be added just before serving the soup so everything stays crisp and fresh for you.
In the morning:
- Cut the smoked salmon into strips and store in the refrigerator.
Other delicious soup
- asparagus soup with ham and grated egg
- Easy onion soup
- Sweet tomato soup, as it’s served at a Dutch Chinese restaurant
- Skinny spinach soup
- Arugula spinach soup
It's a good taste!
Recipe Mustard soup with smoked salmon and green
Mustard soup with smoked salmon and green asparagus
This recipe is:
- 1 liter vegetable stock cooled to room temperature
- 25 grams butter unsalted
- 30 grams flour
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 100 grams green asparagus
- sour cream
- 100 grams smoked salmon
- Cut the smoked salmon into narrow strips and store until use in the refrigerator.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until a ball is formed.
- Reduce heat to low and let the ball bake for 5 minutes.
- Pour the cold vegetable stock, while stirring with a whisk, into the pan.
- Let the soup boil for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the asparagus and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into a plate and divide the salmon on the plates.
- Spoon into each plate a tablespoon sour cream. Serve immediately.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.