One healthy smoothie that's wonderfully fresh: a strawberry smoothie with yogurt and basil. And super easy to make this drink, it only takes four ingredients. Delicious for breakfast or a healthy snack.
Basil is a kitchen herb that I use regularly in Italian cuisine and most of the time in combination with tomatoes. But did you know that basil is a great combination with strawberries? The flavors complement each other very well.
This strawberry smoothie, which I made this morning when I had very little time, combined the flavors of the sweet and sour strawberry, spicy basil, creamy yogurt, and sweet honey. A quick breakfast you can drink within 5 minutes. Delicious with great taste and healthy. Summer in your glass!
Strawberries are of course the ultimate spring fruit and easy to use in a strawberry smoothie. When fresh strawberries are available again, you know the good weather is coming.
The strawberry is a soft fruit, a berry. And it is in the top 10 of the most eaten fruits in the Netherlands (source: Voedingscentrum). They contain a lot of vitamin C and folic acid. And they are low in calories. But of course, they are also very tasty!
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
- Strawberries - Fresh strawberries. Wash them clean and hull them.
- Basil - Gives a delicious flavor to this smoothie.
- Greek Yogurt - Gives a deliciously creamy taste to the strawberry smoothie.
- Honey - To enhance the sweetness of the strawberries. If you are really in the middle of the strawberry season (in June), the strawberries are so sweet that you probably don't need to even add honey.
Strawberries quickly get spots and also get moldy quite quickly. If you want to keep them a little longer, you can do so in the following ways. In all cases, leave the crown in place and do not cut them into pieces (this ensures that you can keep them longer). But if you want to save strawberries for your next strawberry smoothie, you can do it in these ways:
- Cool place: Strawberries can be kept in a cool place for 1 day.
- Refrigerator: Store strawberries in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Strawberries can be frozen for up to 12 months. Wash the strawberries and hull them. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the strawberries on the baking paper. Now freeze the strawberries. After a day you can remove the baking tray from the freezer and you can transfer the frozen strawberries to a bag and keep it in the freezer until use.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Strawberry basil smoothie
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 10 basil leaves
- Wash strawberries and hull them.
- Wash the basil leaves and cut them into strips.
- Put the strawberries, honey, Greek yogurt, and basil into the blender.
- Turn the blender on until you get a frothy mixture.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
2. - Alternatives
Yogurt - If you prefer not to use yogurt, make this smoothie with soy milk.
Honey - You can replace this with stevia or maple syrup. Or half a banana. And in June it may be that the strawberries are so sweet that extra sweetener is not necessary.
Strawberries - You can also substitute strawberries for raspberries, red currants, or blackberries.
3. - Storage - You could store this smoothie, but preferably not. The creaminess will be less and the vitamins will also deteriorate if you store it. So preferably make it fresh. If you have made too much now, freeze it in an ice cube tray and store it in the freezer. You don't even have to let it thaw out completely. This smoothie is delicious as a slush.
4. Nutrition - The foods listed are per smoothie.