A smoothie that is creamy, sweet, fresh, and healthy: a Strawberry Basil Smoothie with Yogurt. This delicious summer drink is delicious for breakfast or quick lunch. And with only four ingredients a super easy to make this drink.
Strawberry Basil Smoothie
If you think making a smoothie is as simple as popping some fruits, veggies, and yogurt into a blender and spinning it for a few minutes, you'll be in for a rough ride. Because a smoothie should be creamy and airy, with a light fruit flavor (but not too much).
Basil is a kitchen herb that I use regularly in Italian cuisine and most of the time in combination with tomatoes. But did you know that basil is a great combination with strawberries? The flavors complement each other very well.
This Strawberry Basil Smoothie with Yogurt is one such example. The Greek yogurt makes this smoothie wonderfully creamy and fresh, while the fresh strawberries and a small spoonful of honey ensure that the smoothie has a light sweetness. The basil gives a sweet and peppery touch. Delicious!
Why strawberries in your smoothie?
Strawberries are of course the ultimate spring fruit and are easy to use in a strawberry smoothie. When fresh strawberries are available again, you know the good weather is coming.
The strawberry is a soft fruit, a berry. And it is in the top 10 of the most eaten fruits in the Netherlands (source: Voedingscentrum). They contain a lot of vitamin C and folic acid. And they are low in calories. But of course, they are also very tasty!
What do you need for a Strawberry Smoothie with Yogurt and Basil
For the preparation of this sweet Strawberry Basil smoothie you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog):
- Strawberries - Fresh strawberries. Wash them clean and hull them.
- Basil - Gives a delicious flavor to this smoothie.
- Greek Yogurt - Gives a deliciously creamy taste to the strawberry smoothie.
- Honey - To enhance the sweetness of the strawberries. If you are really in the middle of the strawberry season (in June), the strawberries are so sweet that you probably don't need to even add honey.
How to make a gluten-free Basil Strawberry Smoothie
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
You can make this easy recipe quickly and simply by washing the strawberries, removing the crown, and cutting them in half. Cut the basil into strips and put all ingredients in the blender. Turn on for 2 minutes until it is frothy and pour immediately into a glass and enjoy!
Strawberries quickly get spots and also get moldy quite quickly. If you want to keep them a little longer, you can do so in the following ways. In all cases, leave the crown in place and do not cut them into pieces (this ensures that you can keep them longer). But if you want to save strawberries for your next strawberry smoothie, you can do it in these ways:
- Cool place: Strawberries can be kept in a cool place for 1 day.
- Refrigerator: Store strawberries in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Strawberries can be frozen for up to 12 months. Wash the strawberries and hull them. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the strawberries on the baking paper. Now freeze the strawberries. After a day you can remove the baking tray from the freezer and you can transfer the frozen strawberries to a bag and keep it in the freezer until use.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Strawberry Basil Smoothie
- ½ cup strawberries
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Wash the strawberries and hull them. Slice them in half.½ cup strawberries
- Wash the basil leaves and cut them into strips.10 basil
- Put the strawberries, honey, Greek yogurt, and basil into the blender.1 tablespoon honey, ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- Turn the blender on until you get a frothy mixture.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
- Yogurt - If you prefer not to use yogurt, make this smoothie with soy milk.
- Honey - You can replace this with stevia or maple syrup. Or half a banana. And in June it may be that the strawberries are so sweet that extra sweetener is not necessary.
- Strawberries - You can also substitute strawberries for raspberries, red currants, or blackberries.
Leave a Reply