You can make one of the BEST smoothies in winter with tangerines! Very easy to prepare and you only need four ingredients. A splash of coconut milk gives it a creamy taste, without diluting it too much. The cranberries give a delicious sweetness and some extra fiber. This delicious smoothie is so delicious that you can have this for breakfast every day.
Besides a delicious oatmeal breakfast, I love a smoothie from time to time. This winter smoothie with tangerines, cranberries, and creamy coconut milk is a winner. With s sprinkle of cocoa for an extra flavor accent. A quick and delicious breakfast.
Tangerines are healthy
Tangerines (also known as mandarins) contain vitamin C, fiber and folic acid. And therefore they're considered very healthy (and tasty too). That's why they're of course very popular.
In this recipe, we use the juice from the tangerines. Because of that, we capture vitamins and folic acid in this delicious drink. The fiber of the tangerines won't be in the juice, and that's why we add some cranberries (and they also give a bit of sweetness).
Tangerines are picked between September and the end of February. And they've got the best flavor from the beginning of November until the beginning of February, when they are sweet and juicy.
A smoothie with tangerines
When I think of all those smoothies I've made in the past years, this one is certainly in my top three. Because it's so easy to prepare, you only need a few ingredients and you've got such a rich, creamy and fruity flavor.
The tangerine is sweet and fresh at the same time. The dried cranberries are sweet and the coconut milk is creamy. I never use a light coconut milk in this recipe, because the silky flavor makes this recipe a winner.
And when you've done blending these ingredients, I sprinkle some cocoa on top. Because cocoa and tangerine are one of the best food combo's. And it gives your smoothie just a bit extra (and did I tell you it also looks beautiful ;-))
A full list of ingredients can be found at the end of this blog.
Normally you'll find a picture with all the ingredients, but this photographer forgot to shoot the first picture ;-(. Well again, now I've got to prepare it again, to make this recipe complete again!
- Tangerines - also know as mandarins, are one of the main ingredients of this smoothie. So choosing the best tangerine is a big deal. Clementines are a sort that's sweet and sour, with a thin skin. Minneola's got a small bulb on the top, and are really juicy. And both tangerines I can recommend. (And if you've got some leftover tangerines? Bake this delicious and easy tangerine cake!)
- Cranberries - Add dried cranberries for extra fibers and a bit of a sweet flavor. Cranberries on it's own are very sour. But most dried cranberries are sweetened with apple juice.
- Coconut milk - Use a creamy coconut milk and make sure to shake before adding it (otherwise you get a really thick of really thin smoothie)
- Cocoa - The ultimate food combo is chocolate with tangerines. And that pinch gives just that little bit extra to this tangerine smoothie.
🔪 How to prepare a tangerine smoothie with coconut and cranberries?
A recipe that can be printed can be found at the bottom of this blog in the recipe card.
Step 1 juice the tangerines - Slice the tangerines in halve and juice them. Collect all the juices in a bowl.
Step 2: Mix everything in the blender
- First the tangerine juice - Add the tangerine juice to your blender bowl.
- A spoonful of cranberries - Add one tablespoon of cranberries.
- A dash of coconut - Pour ½ cup (100 ml) coconut milk into the blender bowl. Shake the coconut milk before adding!
- Mix everything! - Turn the blender on and mix for 2 minutes. Then pour the smoothie in a glass and sprinkle some cocoa on top. Enjoy!
How do you know if your tangerines are good?
The best way to know is tasting them. But if you can't, then roll the tangerines between the palms of your hand. They should feel a bit soft (but not too much). And you should smell a tangerine. It should be smelling fresh and citrus. (if you don't smell anything, put it back again. Those tangerines aren't great for this smoothie)
And don't buy tangerines with brown spots or soft spots.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Tangerine smoothie (dairy-free)
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 2 tangerines
- 1 tablespoon cranberries
- ½ cups coconut milk
- pinch cocoa
- Cut the tangerines in half and squeeze out the juice.
- Put the juice along with the cranberries and coconut milk in a blender and turn it on until you have a nice and smooth drink.
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle with a pinch of cocoa.
- Drink immediately!
- Tangerines - Clementines and Minneolas are perfect for this smoothie. Make sure to make this smoothie when the mandarins are in season (begin November - begin February).