Discover these delicious chicken drumsticks with soy sauce recipe because chicken drumsticks are always a good thing! Nice chewing! These juicy chicken drumsticks are marinated in a tasty soy sauce marinade. It's an easy recipe, perfect for busy days. These sweet and sour drumsticks go wonderfully with rice, fried onions, and a delicious salad.
Delicious Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks Recipe, Easy and Tasty
Schools have started again. Our teenager is on his bike back to the Secondary to pick up his schedule, and the other two are back to school with fresh courage. A new year full of new challenges in which talents are developed, and opportunities are discovered.
Not just for the kids, of course. I'm also busy and have reopened the work on my site. This way, you can enjoy what we eat every day. Tasty and easy recipes. And that is also useful when “normal” life starts again (sometimes a week is normal;-)).
Today, I made these delicious drumsticks. The tender chicken is marinated in a taste explosion of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other seasonings. This perfectly balances salty and sweet with a hint of umami.
This tasty recipe is an easy and delicious recipe for busy days. Serve it with white rice and a delicious salad, and you have a nice meal.
What do you need for Easy Drumsticks Flavored with Soy Sauce and Ginger?
To prepare these Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Shallot: Gives extra flavor to the sauce. A shallot has a bit more spice compared to a regular onion.
- Butter and Oil: Fry the drumsticks in a butter and oil mixture. This way, you can make the fats hot without burning the butter (and you still have that delicious taste).
- Drumsticks: These are small chicken legs. It is the bottom part of the chicken leg.
- Kecap Manis: An Indonesian sweet soy sauce is used in this recipe. If you don't have Kecap Manis at home but have light soy sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, or dark soy sauce? Add two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of extra brown sugar to the soy sauce.
- Sherry: A wine, also called Xeres, is a fortified wine from Spain (Andalusia). It has a spicy taste. Fino sherry has a dry taste and is used in this recipe.
- Brown sugar: To sweeten the sauce. Brown sugar is used because it also gives a caramelized flavor to the sauce.
- Lemon juice: For a fresh taste.
- Ginger: Ginger is spicy, sweet, fresh, and spicy at the same time. It is often used in Eastern / Asian cuisine. Use fresh ginger root. Remove the skin with a vegetable peeler if you don't have organic ginger.
How to prepare Honey Soy Drumsticks
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Heat a frying pan (or frying pan) with oil and butter. When the oil has melted, add the shallots and fry for three minutes until translucent.
- Place the drumsticks in the pan and fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Mix the sweet soy sauce, sherry, sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and water.
- Pour the soy sauce over the drumsticks. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer the drumsticks for 30 minutes or until done.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Use a mixture of oil and butter to brown the chicken drumsticks nicely. Combining both makes the fat hotter, while the butter does not burn. And you get a nice crispy layer on the outside.
- If you don't have dry sherry at home, you can also use saké.
- It is important that your drumsticks are cooked (due to food poisoning). To check that, you measure the core temperature. It should be 175 °F (ca. 79 °C). Don't have a thermometer? Prick the thickest part of the thickest chicken leg with a thick needle (;-)) then press the outside until moisture comes out. If the liquid is clear, the chicken leg is ready.
- This recipe is gluten-free. TIP. Kecap manis is often gluten-free, but always check the packaging carefully to be sure!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 tablespoons Kecap Manis
- 4 tablespoons sherry dry
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- ½ cup water
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Heat a casserole pan (with lid) or Dutch oven on the heat and pour in the oil and melt the butter.1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Add the shallots and fry for three minutes until translucent on medium heat.2 shallots
- Place the drumsticks in the pan and fry on all sides until golden brown.8 chicken drumsticks
- Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and water.4 tablespoons Kecap Manis, 4 tablespoons sherry, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, ½ cup water
- Pour the marinade with the chicken legs and bring to a boil. Turn the heat low and put the lid on the pan.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes so the drumsticks are done.
Let the drumsticks cool quickly.
- Refrigerator: Cover the drumsticks with plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to two days.
- Freezer: Store the drumsticks in a freezer bag or box. They can then be kept for two months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Heat the drumsticks in a preheated oven at 300 °F (150 °C) for 15 minutes, or until warm.