This chicory salad with apple is a classic. Finely chopped chicory with cubes of apple, raisins, and finely chopped walnuts. A recipe that is quick and easy to make, will be on the table within 10 minutes. And at the same time, it is wonderfully fresh and cheerful to see with all those colors. This is the salad you can always serve.
Sometimes you feel like a fresh and healthy salad. But you don't feel like eating iceberg, arugula, or other types of lettuce. Then I have a super tasty recipe for you here: chicory salad with apple. It's fresh and crunchy and with lots of goodies.
Because besides apple, I add spring onion, cheese, walnuts, and raisins to the bowl. And a delicious honey mustard yogurt dressing provides a creamy taste. Really a salad that you keep making again and again.
The recipe is adapted from a foodblog called Eefkooktzo (Dutch foodblog)
A fresh and creamy classic: chicory salad with apple, walnut, and raisins. You will often make this colorful salad!
- Apple - Apple provides a wonderfully fresh accent. I use a sweet apple, such as Elstar or Pink lady. If you don't want to use this fruit, you can also replace it with wedges of tangerines or grapes.
- Chicory - Delicious fresh chicory. Keep it in the refrigerator in the dark until use. You can also replace the Belgian endives with red chicory (what beautiful colors you get then). You can also substitute this veggie with kale.
- Cheese - Gouda cheese is used in this recipe. But you can also opt for salty feta cheese and even blue cheese, which is very tasty.
- Honey and Ginger syrup - Provide the sweetness in the dressing without overpowering it. You can replace this with another liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or golden syrup.
Step 1 - Prep everything
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 5 minutes and then pat them dry.
- Cut the bottom of the chicory and remove the bitter core. Then cut it into strips and wash the leaves.
- Wash the apple and remove the core. Cut into small cubes of ¼ x ¼ inch (½ x ½ cm) (peeling is not necessary).
- After that place the slices of cheese on top of each other and first cut into strips of ½ inch (one cm) wide and then into square cubes.
Step 2 - Make the creamy yogurt dressing
- Put the yogurt in a small bowl and add the mayonnaise.
- Add a tablespoon of mustard.
- Pour the honey and ginger syrup into the bowl.
- Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
Step 3 - Put all ingredients in a large bowl
- Place the chicory and apple in a large bowl.
- Divide the cheese cubes over the salad.
- Cut the spring onions into thin strips and put them in the bowl. If you cut them diagonally, they look even more beautiful.
- Put the raisins in the bowl.
Step 4 - Mix the dressing through the greens
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad and toss to coat all ingredients.
- Chop the walnuts and sprinkle over the salad. Serve immediately!
You can make this salad one day in advance. Add everything except the walnuts (they will soften if you add them too early). Cover the chicory salad with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Serve it with a BBQ as a side dish. But also delicious as a side dish with meat or chicken dishes, such as with this Pork tenderloin with apples, Greek potato dish with minced meat or Salmon with garlic butter of red wine and shallots.
Cut the bottom of the chicories and remove the bitter core with a knife. Then slice the veggie in thin strips.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Chicory and apple salad with walnuts and raisins
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
Chicory and apple salad
- 3 stumps chicory
- 3 slices cheese Gouda
- 1 apple Jonagold, Elstar or Pink Lady
- 1 spring onion
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ginger syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra vierge
- ⅙ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Put the raisins in a bowl with hot water and let it stand for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Cut the bottom of the chicory and half it. Remove the bitter core.
- Cut the chicory into thin strips and wash it well.
- Wash the apple and remove the core. Cut the apple into cubes. You can leave the peel on.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Finely chop the walnuts.
- Cut the spring onion into small strips.
- Place the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard in a bowl.
- Pour the ginger syrup, honey, and olive oil with the yogurt.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
Chicory and apple salad
- Put the chicory in a salad bowl and add the cheese and apple.
- Divide the spring onions and raisins over the salad.
- Pour the dressing into the salad and mix everything.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.