The next time you grill salmon on the BBQ, it will be SUPER tasty because of the feta marinade! It gives it so much extra flavor! And as a bonus: with the grilled courgette you get a very healthy and easy meal!
With the nice weather, it is wonderful to light the BBQ! And this time no barbecue skewer, but a nice salmon fillet and zucchini. And both are served with a spicy feta marinade.
It so picks up the flavors and gives it a Mediterranean atmosphere. This is also a great recipe for when you are on vacation. Because especially on the coast you can get delicious fresh fish. And because this recipe has just a few steps, it is easy and quick to make. You will love it!
The delicious marinade of Feta, basil, and olive oil makes this salmon with zucchini on the barbecue EXTRA delicious.
A healthy meal
You can serve this salmon with the grilled zucchini as a meal. And in the summer, I serve some baguette and a salad with it. A healthy and reasonably lean meal (depends on how much of that delicious feta marinade you will use 😉 ).
When I make it in the grill pan in the winter, I serve it with some fried potatoes. That is also super delicious combination!
- Salmon - Use a large salmon steak or several pieces. It doesn't matter for the taste. Choose a piece with skin on one side, then the salmon will fall apart less during grilling. And it also gives extra flavor. You can also use cod fillets instead of salmon. A firm whitefish that does well on the grill. By allowing meat and fish to rest for a while after baking or grilling, fewer juices will be released after cutting, which will remain in your meat or fish. It will give so much mire flavor.
- Courgette eg. Zucchini - a delicious vegetable that is easy to grill. Cut pieces of about ½ inch (one cm) thick, so they don't burn as quickly and you can turn them better. If you don't have or don't like zucchini, try this recipe using eggplant.
- Feta - The real Feta cheese is of course the tastiest. This one comes from Greece and can be made from raw milk. So be careful when you are pregnant (always read the labels carefully). If you can’t get this cheese, you can buy white cheese cubes in the supermarket. Less strong in taste, but still very tasty.
- Lemon - When a recipe mentions lemon zest, use an organic lemon. Grate only the yellow part of the lemon. The white underneath is very bitter. You can also replace the lemon with lime or orange.
- Basil - A sweet herb with a light, mild flavor. It combines wonderfully with feta and lemon. You can also substitute this with thyme leaves or rosemary.
Step 1 – Preparations
1. Crumble the feta in a bowl.
2. Finely chop the chives.
3. Grate the zest of a lemon. Grate only the yellow skin and stay away from the white part. That is bitter.
4. Cut the zucchini into slices about ½ inch (one cm) thick.
Step 2 - Prepare the feta marinade
- Mix the lemon zest with the feta.
- Squeeze 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and add to the feta.
- Add the finely chopped basil to the dish.
- Pour in the olive oil, you need about 4 tablespoons and mix everything well.
Step 3 - Prepare the salmon
- Brush both sides of the salmon with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon on the hot BBQ or in the grill pan and grill the salmon for six minutes.
- Flip the salmon and grill for an additional 6 minutes. Now remove from the pan and place the salmon on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let it sit for three minutes. The juices will now distribute well and the salmon will taste even better.
Step 4 - Grill the zucchini
- Brush the courgette on both sides with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the slices on the BBQ or in the hot grill pan and fry for three minutes.
- Turn the slices over and grill for three more minutes. Serve the zucchini with the salmon and feta dressing.
How do you know if the salmon is ready?
There are two ways to easily determine this:
1. Color: When the salmon is raw or not well cooked, it is got a salmon color and is transparent. When done the sides of the salmon should be at least opaque and pink.
2. To measure is to know. The core temperature of medium baked salmon (and that's how it really is the best) should be 130 °F (55 ° C). This is measured in the center of the thickest part of the salmon.
Other Delicious Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Grilled salmon and zucchini with a feta dressing
- 1¼ pound salmon fillet
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil extra vierge
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 ounce basil
- 1 lemon biological
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Crumble the Feta with your fingers in a bowl.
- Cut the basil into very small strips.
- Grate the lemon peel, only the yellow part, not the white. The white part is very bitter.
- Slice the zucchini into about ½ inch (1 cm) thick pieces.
- Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix the feta, grated lemon, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and the basil.
- Add the olive oil and mix.
- Coat the courgette with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the barbecue and make sure it’s hot. Grill the salmon fillets on both sides for six minutes (core temperature 130 °F, 55 °C). The salmon will then be medium done.
- Put the fish on a plate, so the juices can set in the fillet (it's better for the taste).
- Meanwhile grill the zucchini on both sides, for three minutes until they’re done.
- Take a plate and put a salmon fillet and a few slices of zucchini on it. Spoon the feta dressing on top of the zucchini and salmon fillet.
Leave a Reply