This German potato salad can be eaten warm or cold! By marinating warm potato slices in a delicious dressing, they’ll absorb all those great flavors. They are then mixed with egg, crispy salty bacon, and chives. A great combination of flavors makes this one of the best potato salads I know!
German Potato Salad
What is so unique compared to other Potato Salads? Because you add the marinate to the warm potatoes, they absorb the flavors much better. As a result, every bite gets a terrific taste.
The sauce is very good with curry and paprika powder as a flavor accent, creamy mayonnaise, and chives’ freshness. And it is such an easy recipe.
This German potato salad will be one of my main side dishes this summer when I’m going to grill this summer, I’m sure!
This recipe is adapted from the Dutch foodblog lekkerhappen.
What do you need for Kartoffel Salat?
To prepare this German Potato Salad, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Potatoes - I use pre-cooked potato slices for this salad, as it is the easiest way to prepare it. You could make the potato slices yourself. Use floury potatoes to make this recipe. Russet, Doré, King Edward, and Maris Piper are great choices. Start by peeling the potatoes. Cut them about ¼ inch (½ cm) thick. Now you cook them (just like the potato slices from the recipe). Only these potatoes need a little longer (about 10 minutes more) to be cooked.
- Eggs - Use hard-boiled eggs. Not sure how to do that? I’ve got the perfect step-by-step plan for you in y blog: how to prepare perfect hard-boiled eggs! First, make sure to rinse them under cold water afterward. Then you can peel the skin off easily.
- Spring onions - are sweeter and mellower compared to regular onions. The green parts are more intense in flavor compared to the white pieces. I like to mix both, but you could choose to use only the whites (or greens) as well.
- Mayonnaise - Makes the salad rich and creamy.
- Curry powder and paprika powder - To flavor the dressing.
- Chives - for an oniony taste. Milder than typical red or yellow onions.
- Bacon - Use bacon strips and fry them crispy and brown in a skillet. Give a delicious flavor to your salad.
How to prepare a Creamy Potato Salad, German Style?
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Put the Mayonnaise, Paprika powder, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix.
- Peel the eggs and slice them into small bits. Add to the salad bowl.
- Also, add the sliced spring onions, chives, and bacon.
- Cook the potato slices until done, drain, and let them stand without a lid for 2 minutes. Add them to your salad bowl and give it a good stir, so every piece of potato is covered with some marinate. Eat the salad warm or let it cool (which is also a great way to eat this salad).
Garnish the salad with some extra spring onions and crispy brown bacon.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
German Potato Salad
- 1¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs hard-boiled, peeled
- 3 spring onions sliced into small strips
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 4 oz. bacon strips, fried until brown and crispy
- 2½ pounds potatoes slices
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Put the Mayonnaise, Paprika powder, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix.1¼ cup mayonnaise, 2½ teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon curry powder, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Slice the eggs into small cubes. Add to the salad bowl.4 eggs
- Also, put the sliced spring onions, chives, and bacon into the bowl.3 spring onions, 2 tablespoons chives, 4 oz. bacon
- Cook the potato slices until done, drain, and let them stand without a lid for 2 minutes.2½ pounds potatoes
- Add them to your salad bowl and give it a good stir, so every piece of potato is covered with some marinate.
- Eat the salad warm or let it cool (which is also a great way to eat this salad).
- Refrigerator: This German potato salad will keep up for three days in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Freezer: Don't freeze this salad