Crispy, full of flavor, and easy to prepare, these cracker bread recipes are the best appetizers. The first one is full of Mediterranean flavors and whole wheat. The second flatbread recipe is with cheddar cheese and a spicy topping. Eat them au naturel or serve them with a topping. They will be delicious anyway! It’s the perfect snack for any party!
Homemade Crackers Bread
I always wondered why you would want to make your own cracker bread? You can buy them in the grocery stores in all kinds of flavors.
Even so, sometimes you want something new. I love herb crackers, but can I have them in whole wheat and perfectly flavored—a more healthy variant.
And cheese crackers, I love those! But I want them with real cheese, crunchy and soft. Yes, I’ve got big I want to list. And it must be an easy recipe.
The Challenge is on
So I took the challenge and began to try some new recipes, and I found this excellent cracker recipe. And then it all came together. I made the perfect Mediterranean herb cracker bread. And also delicious Cheddar cheese cracker. So I decided I share both recipes to make your own crackers with you!
This recipe is adapted from the daring baker’s challenge in July 2012 with Dana McFarland as a host.
What do you need for these Crispy Cracker Bread Recipes?
To prepare these homemade cracker bread recipes, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog.
Ingredients Whole Wheat Mediterranean Herb Crackers
- Whole wheat flour - this flour contains the entire grain. This gives these crackers more fiber, and that’s healthier.
- All-purpose flour - Combined with whole wheat flour for more air.
- Olive oil - to make the dough softer and give it more flavor. Also, it makes sure the crust becomes golden brown.
- Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, and Salt - To give the herb crackers extra flavor.
Ingredients Cheddar cheese crackers
- Cheddar - A spicy golden yellow soft cheese that melts. Ideal to use for these cheese crackers.
- All-purpose flour - the cracker is light and airy by using all-purpose flour.
- Olive oil - makes the dough softer and gives it a more fruity taste.
- Salt, black pepper, and oregano - give the cracker extra flavor.
- Sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper - Use a mixture of these ingredients as a topping. The sugar caramelizes, and cayenne spices the cracker bread. A great combination with the cheddar cheese for sure!
How to prepare these Easy Homemade Flatbread Crackers
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
Preparation Whole Wheat Mediterranean Herb Crackers
- Put all the ingredients (except the topping) in a large bowl.
- Mix for 5 minutes until you get a dough. Form the dough into a ball. Cover the dough with plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Roll the dough until it’s very thin, about ⅛ inch (¼ cm). It’s easy to roll it between two baking papers so it won’t stick, and you can take the crackers to the baking plate quite easily. You could also use a pasta maker for this.
- Take a knife and make squares of dough, or use cookie cutters. Place them on a baking plate lined with baking paper. Sprinkle some sea salt on top and bake for 20 minutes at 430 °F (220 °C). Let them cool to room temperature before serving.
Preparation of Cheddar Cheese Crackers
- Put all the ingredients, except the sugar, cayenne pepper, and sea salt for the topping, into a large bowl.
- Mix until you get a dough with an electric mixer with a dough hook.
- Wrap in plastic foil and let it rest and cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours. That way, it won’t stick when rolling later.
- Roll the dough until it’s about ¼ inch (½ cm). Use a floured surface or put the dough between two baking sheets. Cut the dough into squares (a pizza cutter works great) and make sure you get equal portions. And put them on a baking plate with baking paper.
- Mix the topping in a small bowl. Brush each cracker with olive oil, and sprinkle the topping on the crisp thin bread. Bake them for 20 minutes at 320 °F (160 °C). Let it cool to room temperature.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Whole Wheat Mediterranean Herb Crackers
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- Rolling Pin
Mediterranean herb whole-wheat crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup water 100 °F / 37 °C
- ¼ cup olive oil extra vierge
- 1 teaspoon rosemary fresh , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil fresh , finely chopped
- olive oil topping
- sea salt course, topping
- Mix all the ingredients until a cracker dough forms. Knead for at least another 5 minutes. When the dough falls apart, pour a little extra water on it. When it sticks, add a little extra flour.1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, ⅔ teaspoon salt, ¾ cup water, ¼ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon rosemary, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon basil
- Place dough in a bowl, cover it with a wet towel, and let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 430 °F (220 °C).
- Roll the dough very thinly (⅛ inch, ¼ cm). Cut the dough into squares. Make sure you got equal pieces.
- Layer sheet pans with baking paper. Put the crackers on them.
- Brush each cracker with olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt on top.olive oil, sea salt
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cracker becomes golden brown.
Cheddar Cheese Bread Crackers
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- Rolling Pin
Cheddar Bread Cracker
- 8 oz. Cheddar grated
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup olive oil extra vierge
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all the ingredients until you get a dough. When the dough sticks too much, add a little bit of extra flour. When it falls apart, pour some water on the dough and mix again.8 oz. Cheddar, 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ cup olive oil, ½ cup water
- Wrap the dough in plastic foil and let it rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 320 °F (160 °C).
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin and cut the crackers with a sharp knife.
- Lay baking paper on a baking plate and spread the crackers on them.
- Mix the salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper for the topping.1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle the topping onto the crackers
- Bake the crackers for 20 minutes.